Chapter - 17 Encounter

Start from the beginning

"Let's get outta here, man!"

He could hear Bydd screaming at him, but I couldn't quite drive myself to run. My wares were im my wagon, but the horses were too spooked to listen to my commands. I would have to abandon my load-which was fine. A major loss, but at least I live to make up for it some other day.

No, that wasn't what made i hesitate. It was my lack of running speed. I hadn't cursed my pudgy frame quite like this in a long time.

"Dammit!"

Ever the merchant, I quickly reached a conclusion in my mind.

"Hang it all, Bydd, we're going to pass out these potions to the soldiers!"

"What're you talking about? All we can do at this point is run, man."

"You fool! How are we going to flee from that winged monster on foot? The only way to survive is to reach the other side of the gate! The capital's got a magic barrier over it that blocks out monsters. Better to help out the soldiers and buy ourselves some time!"

"But..."

Even as they bickered, the Sky Dragon sent out bolts of lightning that charred the earth, delivering merciless judgment upon those too late to make their escape.

"Mommy! Mommy!!"

"Elno!!"

The mother had hugged her girl tightly to protect her. Now she was about to breathe her last, burned across practically her entire body.

"Waaaahhhhhh!"

People ran in all directions, shouting. Nobody would be left to give a helping hand to this woman who was on the brink of death-

"Dahh, let me have it! I'll do it!"

"S-Sir?!"

I grabbed a box of High Potions and ran to the field where lightning had just struck-straight for the mother and her daughter. Lightning scared me, but i still ran, trusting in my good fortune.

It won't hit me. I'm a luckier man than that!

I stumbled my way there, sprinkling the medicine on the half-charred woman. That alone was enough to stop her from dying on the spot. I breathed a sigh of relief, bending down to pat the crying daughter on the head-then noticed there was a shadow on the ground. My blood froze in fear; i could feel it drain from my face.

Reluctantly looking upward, I found exactly the kind of horrid sight I expected. It was fifteen or sixteen feet long, small for a dragon, but its strength was unstoppable. And now, the Sky Dragon had descended on the spot, ready to make quick work of them all.

"Dammit, so much for my luck..."

Just when I was ready to give up, something fell near him.

"Hey! Over here, monster! I'll take you on!"

It was Bydd. He had thrown a rock to divert its attention.

"Y-you fool! Why aren't you running?!"

"Heh-heh. I ain't exactly led a clean life, but I had a guy tell me once... He said when people need help, you gotta give it to 'em! That'll help people see ya in a better light, y'know? So get those victims up and bring 'em in the gate!"

I could see soldiers behind Bydd. They were passing around the potions, just as he had instructed them to. "We can buy some time with these!" they marveled once it became clear just how effective they were.

Maybe this will work, i thought for a moment. But it was an illusion. The Sky Dragon's lips curled up, as if sneering at him. The next moment, with a terrific rumble, a rain of lightning fell upon the soldiers.