"You guys are using the show as a cover, right? To get into the Little Palace?"

"Yeah. You too?"

"Mmhmm. I find it ironic that they gave me the role of The Phoenix."

Inej chuckled a little under her breath at that.

The sound of hurried running and panting caused both of them to turn their heads to the entrance. Jesper was standing there, a little winded with one of his guns in hand. Kaz was a few steps behind him, clearly hadn't ran like the other had.

"What's-what's happening here?" Jesper asked her, waving his gun in gesture to the both of them.

"I've made a friend who happens to have a similar end game to us."

"Fern Gwendolyn. Nice to meet you, hat guy and funny guns."

***

It was the middle of the night and the dark general was still up, looking over the large maps for the grisha armies and where they were currently setting up camps. It was too late for him to still be up as he had been at this since the afternoon, meaning he hadn't seen Seraphine all day. The only thing he was hearing about her was the updates that he asking Feydor when he came by.

Kirigan let out a sigh as his eyes clouded for a moment for exhaustion, shutting his eyes and pinching the bridge of his nose. He really hadn't been getting enough sleep, but there was so much to do and just not a lot of time.

There was a knock at the door, which he only responded with a groan filled sigh and, "Zoya, I don't have time for your incessant-"

"Nope, definitely not her."

The general's head popped up from his hands at the sound of the Phoenix's voice at the opened door. "Seraphine, I didn't realize it was...you."

He trailed off at the end when he realized the state she was in. Her curly hair seemed much larger than usual, messier like she had just stood in the wind for a while. Her eyes were barely open, to the point that he couldn't even see the color of her eyes at the moment. She was wearing her night dress, a pretty peach color with lace edging, going down to her knees.

"Seraphine?"

His words were only met with a little moan as she sluggishly walked around the large table and towards him. Kirigan was very confused what was happening, the woman standing next to his chest and patting his shoulder, gesturing for him to get up as well. He did slowly, Seraphine gently grabbed his wrist after moving around him and leading him towards the adjoining door to his bedroom.

"Come on, beds time for all.." She slurred out slightly.

Her hands against his shoulders pushed him down onto the comforter of his bed, his eyes showing an amused but bewildered look at her actions. She made a grabby motion to him while grunting out, "Gimme it."

He could only guess that she was speaking about his kefta so he started unbuttoning it before pulling it out from under him and holding it out to her. Once it was in her hand, she simply tossed it aside like it was nothing.

"That is-" She ignored his protests to his harsh treatment of his coat and got down on her knees, shutting him up immediately.

Calmly and in no hurry, Seraphine squinted down at the laces of his boots and started to unlace them. Once one was untied, it was given the same treatment as his kefta. When both shoes were off and thrown to the side with reckless abandon, she stood back up and grabbed his legs, moved them so his entire body was on top of the bed. With a smile, Kirigan decided to help her out by pulling the covers out from under him and over his legs until it was at his waist. He kept his upper half pushed up so he could see what she would do next.

Seraphine stood over him, brushing his inky black hair back with her fingers before pressing her palm against his forehead and pushing his head down against the pillow. He let out a hugged laugh at the suddenness. She patted his face while muttering, "Sleepy time...nigh-nigh."

Seraphine gave him a little wave before exiting his bedroom and closing the door as quietly as she could behind her.

***

A/N: y'all i am so sorry for the YEAR hiatus

A/N: y'all i am so sorry for the YEAR hiatus. i don't have a good excuse besides my brain worked too fast and got burnout while still pumping out new books. so sorry again.

how did everyone like the new season of shadow and bone?