He spoke in a tone that made her feel his genuine intention with his words. She smiled and nodded as she looked up quickly and back at the paper.

Her eyes read as she glances up at her new boss, "you were friends with Mr. Barnes before all this?"

He nodded with a smile, "I met Bucky and Steve when we were twenty. At the time, I loved to help my friend that would DJ college parties and bars. Nights around those two with ideas flowing. It led three stubborn people with a drive to not stop reaching for incredible dreams. I got my degree in production and music history, took a few business courses.
Steve got a degree in business while Bucky just worked insanely hard starting BBR. I've never met someone with such a hold on their motivation. All the things we talked about in our twenties...we did it and then some before 35."

She beamed across the glass desk as he excitedly told her about their friendship. She felt more proud at her landing a job that originated from a dream these three had, three best friends with a dream.

He looked out the window for a moment, glancing back as she was skimming the contract. She signed the last page and smiled up at him.

"It's beautiful what you'all accomplished together. You should all be incredibly proud. Now let me get my hands on the fun stuff." She wiggled her fingers and smiled at him, "and did I hear I get an office?"

He clapped and stood, leading her down the hall to a wall of glass doors and windows surrounding the space. The room was full of sunlight, windows on all the walls and she cringed, "can I be the craziest person ever?"

He turned and looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm so sorry, I like the dark, the quiet, with my screens and comfy chairs. I can't work like this. Plus, have you seen my skin. If those windows don't protect me, I will become the lobster of BB Records. I'm sorry sir but thats a recipe for disaster."

She frowned, he put his hands up to stop her, "okay, I'll find you a closet or something, go tell Barnes." She chuckled and watched him walk away.

She walked back up the stairs and towards the door she was just inside for her interview. She knocked with a small smile tugging at her lips.

There was few steps behind the door when a flustered crystal stare found her sea green gaze. The moment the icy gaze met her smiling face, he softened into a smile, her pink lips moistened by her nervous lip biting.

"Hello Boss, my office made my skin crawl. Can I sit in your cave and work on the algorithm for a bit? I promise I'll bite my lip so I dont fill silences with my endless..."
She furrowed her brow, "I'll be quiet. I just need somewhere darker to work."

His heart tugged at her accent spewing such tales whenever she spoke. He smiled and opened the door, peaking towards the woman at the front desk, "Sharon, can you reschedule my morning with Zuko."
He peaked at his phone, "Sam said he will work on your cave," he chuckled.

She shrugged and looked into his eyes for a moment, "thank you, Sir. I really appreciate it."

She made her way into the big black leather couch against the wall in this dark office with light grey tile. She sat back and tucked her feet under her as she settled against the corner of the big couch.

"So, I know how talented you are. What else don't we know about our new technical architect." He couldn't help being consumed by curiosity about her. His brow furrowed, "honestly, I like our little hacker better."

She immediately felt her skin becoming warm at his words, she smiled at her lap.

"I grew up near Essex, England. I was born here in new york. My Mum insisted she was a witch but she was also an addict so," she shrugged and looked up quickly, catching his sadness.

She opened her laptop, "I have a bad habit of speaking my mind and never turning my back on a fight. I also, suck in the quiet around others, so I talk too much."

She giggled and started to type away creating her first base code for their new algorithm a la Poppy. She smirked as she glanced up feeling his eyes, when she looked, crystal eyes wonder away from her slowly. She didn't mind his gaze, he intrigued her differently than anyone ever had.

"My mom was a ballerina until just before she got pregnant with me, she was dropped on stage and broke her back. I have only been in the city for a few years, but it always feels so peaceful within the constant chaos."

She took a breath, "wow, I can't believe I just said that. Let me get this thing going," and typed away on her keyboard, avoiding his stare.

After she settled into working on her own computer he leaned back in his chair, she couldn't help but feel excited as he watched her every few moments. As she clicked away, her eyes wandered up and met his crystal stare, his gaze captivated and unable to look away from her.

Poppy's lips spread into a smile as they held eachothers curious stares, there was a knock at the door snapping her from the way their eyes held eachother. He ran his clammy hands down his jeans as he leaned forward, "come in."

"Time to get this cave dweller into her new office before lunch." Her blush lips grinned, hopping from her spot on the couch, as she waved at the raven haired man. He was already wrapped up in her, and as she disappeared through the door he let out a flustered breath. Then the tiny redhead disappeared into work, falling into her favorite headspace, code.

When Sam came to get her for lunch she waved a hand, "I need to keep working, please."

She looked up with a smile as he chuckled, "are you sure you can't pause?" She glared for a moment, "this needs me, raincheck."

He smirked and nodded, "got it red. I'll bring you a sandwich." She smiled with a quick, "thank you," before he disappeared.

"Girl is into the work, couldn't get her to leave." Sam put his hands up with James and Steve shook their heads from the booth in their favorite diner.

"Bucky is pretty fond of her," Steve joked as the waitress brought them their coffee. Bucky shook his head, "there is something about her, she's different."

Sam let out a chuckled breath, "that's an understatement." Bucky shook his head and looked at Steve, "Poppy is an enigma, but I can assure both of you...I've got this."

He grimaced at both of his friends as they ordered their food. Sam and Steve laughed before the blonde pats his friend's shoulder, "you got it bad, you know that right?"

A man like James Barnes didn't typically face emotions like he felt in the few hours he had known her. The enchanting new addition to their company that already swam in his mind. He always had woman at his feet, a womanizer if you will. But with her, he knew it felt different. Little did he know, just the kindof fire he was ready to dance with.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Enigma (n.) ▪︎ a person or thing, that is mysterious, puzzling, or difficult to understand.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒