thirty-eight.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Poppy paces around her apartment, James had left to talk with her father and Steve the night before. He'd killed Pietro in a moment of absolute fury and now she was haunted by a ghostly secret.

Wanda was always so kind, with seemingly good intentions. Today, Poppy had to tell his sister the truth, the whole truth, her brother was killed. Before she can cross that bridge, she needs to see James.

The launch party is tomorrow and it's just about ready, it's the biggest event Poppy'd seen or had planned for BBR. She looked at her tiny sparkly red dress hanging on the wall, her favorite black heels next to it.

"I have shit to do, where are you James?"

A few minutes later, with near perfect timing, the front door unlocks and swings open. James and Steve walk in with a darkened aura over them, a tension filling the space around her.

"Hey, what's this about?" She looked them over as her barefeet pad against the hardwood toward them. Steve locked eyes with her before walking toward the kitchen to hunt for liquor. Poppy always has liquor.

She turned to walk toward Bucky, as Steve poured three glasses. "What happened, James?" He looked into her soft emerald eyes and let a small smile play across his lips as he touched her bottom lip with his thumb.

"Hydra is just going to be alot, it'll be an adjustment," Bucky started. Steve nodded, "it's pretty extreme, Poptart."

She pressed her brow with a small smirk, shaking her head. "Well, you two are mine and we only do as we please."

She shrugged, "everyone else will do as we say, Tony has another thing coming if he thinks we're falling into his ranks."

The guys watched her with surprised stares, "he is the king isn't he?"

She smirked and sucked her teeth, "and I may not be queen yet, but I will be. This so called legend sent one of my father's best soldiers into a mental spiral over me."

She shrugged, "I think the word is already spreading, I just need you both at my sides when I need a little support. But Stark is easy, I'm his little girl..." Her words were honeyed but nearly vicious.

Steve looked at her, studying her expression before tilting his head. "So, what are you planning on taking over?"

The small giggle fell from her lips, "oh there isn't a doubt in my mind I could, just give me two years, I will run this city." She giggled and shook her head of messy curls, "no, I just want my own unit, a bit of that power and control to share with you," she smiled at her man.

Steve and James exchange a look, seeing the endless possibilities, power they never thought would be within reach. Her emerald eyes look between her two bosses, confidence covering her like they'd never seen. Steve looked at his tiny orange haired best friend as they all sip on their bourbon, "who knew three months could change so much."