How could someone say everything in their mind, all at once?

"You'd probably try to pop up and touch the Northern Lights, so that should be our first stop," I declare, the idea already setting sail in my mind with just that statement. 

"What's so special about the Northern Lights?" Kalem challenges, his chin raising just a little, "I never try to pop and touch the lights at home."

"Not anymore, no," My subtle tease makes Kalem's cheeks burn bright before he tries to burrow into my arm. Chuckling, I pull him free with some effort, "the Northern Lights are one of this world's most stunning, natural beauties. No words I could ever use to describe it could do it justice."  Kalem's eyes sparkle with interest, "I promise you will love it."

"What else?" He spurs, his excitement rushing to take flight now. "From there, I'd have to take you somewhere with a lot of sunshine. You'd probably never want to leave the ocean if we went to one of the many beautiful islands of the Caribbean or the Pacific."

"But the ocean is water," Kalem points out with a sudden frown, "you hate lots of water."

I can't help my grimace.

The truth was that I'd never enjoyed large bodies of water for personal reasons. It did nothing for me but sour my mood, but Kalem had convinced himself at some point that I didn't like water because the elf loved it. 

Apparently, the curtain rod loved the water, especially river water, which only explained why he was so horrid to me. It made sense that such a disgusting creature would love water in such a fashion.

However, Kalem thought it was the only thing standing between me and the elf being friends.

Blatant nonsense.

"That is true, but I love you more and making you happy is the greatest gift to me," I reply while I let my fingers trail down to Kalem's cheek. He immediately leans into it, his eyes falling shut as he presses a kiss to my palm, "so when this is all over, we'll see the world together, love. Every inch of it, even the parts with lots of water."

"Okay," Kalem mumbles against me, his heart hammering hard. "I'll be happy with making messes all day-" I can't help my snort, "and I didn't know if I would enjoy these special Northern Lights or all those islands, but I really love you Master, and I know I'll love seeing anything new once you're there with me."

My heart fills with futile notions of beating again as Kalem's words wrap around me, holding me close with all the affection he so happily doused me in.

My voice is slightly hoarse when I reply.

"I can not wait, my love."

The pull of Lyrra forces me to return to the present, to this painful, warped reality that had somehow become my own. 

I'd hoped it was a nightmare, prayed for it to be false, but the sound of vampires readying to fight was familiar and too true to deny.

The poignant scent of blood wafting the air, the screech of sleek armour being adorned, the feel of Lyrra burning bright with vampires braced to follow my every command. 

I knew the signs of war well. This was real. 

Still, my fingers clench shut, trying to catch the ghostly warmth that had filled them in my memories only to find cold emptiness instead.

The tears try to come, but I don't let them fall. 

I'd get him back, and once I did, the scar I'd leave on these wretched vermin would be so deep on the earth that no other would dare threaten our peace again. I would see it so.