72. the only love I haven't screwed up

Start from the beginning

Loki looked at him for another few seconds. He always knew he didn't really have a choice, and it was better he took a seat the easy way. He put the chair back carefully, lowering himself on the seat. His eyes never once left the new Agent sitting across from him.

"It's good to finally meet you, Mister Laufeyson. I'm Agent —"

"I don't mean to be rude, but can we just get on with it and get it over with? Because I am getting bored." He wasn't getting bored. He was... Loki didn't know if what he felt right now was anxiety: the continued absence of Mobius. Even now, he kept expecting Mobius to walk through the door and tell this new Agent he got it from here, but Mobius never came.

Mobius wouldn't simply abandon him like this, like everybody else did, because Mobius wasn't like them. Mobius was different.

How selfish you are right now, to expect Mobius to still be different, when you did abandon him.

For some reason, the Agent — the new Agent — seemed to know exactly what Loki was thinking. "Something on your mind, Mister Laufeyson?"

"Actually, there is one thing," Loki trailed off. His posture guarded, tense. "If you don't mind, I'd like to only speak to Mo — to Agent Mobius,"

Something went across the new Agent's face. Loki couldn't pinpoint what it exactly was, but he didn't like the sinking feeling weighting in his chest. He could be imagining it, but Loki thought it almost looked like this new Agent was waiting precisely for him to ask about Mobius. There was a small pause of silence, then a twitch of the corner of his lips. Loki watched the Agent lean a little forward, his hands on the tabletop folded together. "I'm afraid that is not going to be possible,"

"What do you mean?" Loki forced himself not to gulp. He didn't like where this was going. The urge to lunge forward and grab the Agent's shoulders, shaking him until he said something. He remained still, gaze locked at the other man in front of him, hoping he was doing at least a decent job concealing the nervousness running in his veins. Maybe Mobius is just currently unavailable. Maybe there's an urgent mission and it requires his presence. Maybe he'll be back soon. Because that had to be the case. Because Loki hadn't really thought of the possibility of that — that time, at Roxxcart, when Mobius looked at him and he looked back, before he left Mobius behind — to be the last time he and Mobius ever met. Maybe he hadn't expected himself to be recaptured so soon, but he'd always thought he'd eventually cross path with Mobius again, and even if Mobius held a grudge against him, then Loki would... he would worry about that later, when he ran into Mobius again. He was supposed to be talking to Mobius now.

"Say, Mister Laufeyson, you're aware you were his responsibility, aren't you? What did you expect would happen to him, really, when you escaped?"

"What happened to him?"

"We are not here to talk about him, I'm afraid."

"No. What happened to Mobius?" Loki didn't mean to raise his voice, not because he wanted to be polite to someone he wanted to plunge a dagger deep into his chest, but because he'd rather not lose his cool. He knew he wasn't doing a very good job keeping up his nonchalant facade, pretending he didn't care about Mobius, so that they couldn't use that against him; his feelings for Mobius, the fear of what'd happened to him when Loki wasn't here.

"Nothing out of the protocols. Nothing that should be of your concern, Mister Laufeyson —" The Agent surely wasn't expecting it, when, in a flash, Loki charged forward and was pinning him against the wall behind, snarling. His hand around the Agent's throat. The Agent looked... taken aback, which was to be expected, but if anything there was no fear in the Agent's eyes. It was okay. Loki wasn't aiming for fear, but he could — and would — break his neck on the spot, if he ever needed to, if the Agent gave him a reason to. Damn the consequences. He was already likely ending up pruned anyway, and couldn't care less about that. Loki only needed to know that Mobius was okay.