The wife

Adjusting to the life in Birmingham was hard.

She wasn't used to living in a standing house, much less a bustling city. Everything was so gray and muddy, no sight of greenery or the vast blue sky Tess was used to seeing.

Tommy wasn't around much either. Since leaving her to her own devices in their new home, he has been out for business for most of the day, only returning in the small hours of the night, retreating in his own room. It was their reality as a married couple, living in separate rooms. Tess was not consulted on the decision. She figured that Tommy did this since her rejection to sleep with him on their wedding night.

Overall, he showed no signs of real emotion. He walked around a dejected ghost, his face not revealing a shred of what he felt. So, she found no companion in him.

Instead, it was none other than Polly who she found to be her true companion. Albeit, one resting a little uneasy around her. It all started with her inviting Tess to look after Finn and Ada while she was out doing business. Tess didn't really mind since she didn't have much going on anyway and quite enjoyed the company of the younger Shelby children.

But, slowly, Polly and Tess began having more conversations over tea. Even with her opening up a little, Tess always felt Polly's eye on her. It was obvious that the woman definition of family didn't stretch beyond family by blood. But, even still, she treated Tess with courtesy and her time.

It was her, too, who planted the seed of nursing into Tess' head.

" I talked to Madame Boswell during the wedding", Polly mentioned one day, drinking her whiskey slowly, " She spoke highly of your healing ability. Said you were their nurse".

Tess nodded, taking a sip of the herbal tea that Polly had been pushing on her to help with the pregnancy. She was five months along now, facing sores and tiredness, as if someone ground up her bones in a shredder.

" Why don't you sign up for training down at Mollymook? You can become a nurse after having the little one", she said as she lit a cigarette between her lips, taking a drag, and then staring at Tess as smoke dissipated around her, " Not like you're doing much here anyway. Tommy's about to hire a maid full time to help out with Finn".

Tess looked down on her shoes, twirling a brown lock in between her fingers. She looked at Polly, the picture of confident, working woman. She demanded respect with her very look. She was no glass flower, kept at home out of sight and out of mind.

" I want to do honest work", Tess said sternly, " I want to but Tommy... I don't even know what's on his mind".

" You should give no fuck about what Tommy thinks about your job", Polly hissed, taking another jittery drag, " You are carrying his child and staying at home while he is doing God knows what. He has no right to judge you for doing God's honest work".

Tess thought about for a minute and she felt herself fiercely agreeing. Since when did she become part of Thomas Shelby's furniture? She had a right to pursue what she wanted, for God's sake. If he wanted to something to say about it, she'd push him until he gave in. Going without him knowing was not an option though. She knew that he'd go ballistic.

So, when Tommy returned home that night, she waited for him in the living room, her hands folded in front of her, trying not to look nervous. Though, truly, she was more nervous than she was at the wedding.