Chapter Thirteen: Sovereign of Nightmares

Start from the beginning

Darkrai didn't just stop there. It charged another of the strange sleep-inducing orb in between it's claws and flung it towards the humans standing in front of them. The projectile rocketed towards Professor Rowan if not for Xavier pushing him away and getting enveloped by darkness. Witnessing it's attack landing on a human, Darkrai once again disappeared into the shadows and made a quick escape from this place before it attracts too much attention.

"Xavier!" 

When the orb disintegrated, a sleeping Xavier fell down on the ground with a thud.

______________________________________

'My head hurts....' Groaning, the male opened his eyes, welcomed by pitch black darkness all around him. As far as his eyes went nothing could be seen. He could feel his five basic senses working all fine with no defects. Still nothing was visible. The individual slowly stood up on his feet somehow. 'Where the hell am I? Last I remember---!'

A sudden scream of despair reached his ears from God knows where. He looked around to find the direction from where the scream came from. Despite lacking vision at the moment, his ears were working and they might guide him to where the scream came from. Maybe that would help him escape this realm of darkness.

He took a few steps towards the direction from where he guessed the scream came from. His hands balled into fists and he kept his guard up. Anything can happen when there is lack of vision and putting one's guard down at this moment might be a big mistake.

As he walked down, suddenly he could feel his vision returning back to him. More like the darkness he was trapped in begin taking shape. The darkness dissipated, revealing a scene that would haunt anyone in their sleep if they were to witness this once. The individual's gaze darkened at the mere sight of it. Unpleasant memories begin resurfacing against his will. 

A sixteen year old boy with short, spiky hair and sharp silver eyes with tears in his eyes dried up and only a look of pure shock and despair written on his face. It was as if someone slapped him on the face with the real picture of the cruel world outside the comfort of his house. 

In front of the boy lay a charred and bloodied mess of what could be an avian being with large wings, sharp talons and a short, hooked beak. The Pokémon was barely recognizable, covered in black and red. It wasn't even breathing anymore.

Opposite to the teen stood a man with fair skin, spiky aquamarine hair and teal eyes. He was having the time of his life, laughing maniacally at the sight of the teen's despair. Beside him stood his trusty Pokémon that was the cause of the avian's brutal condition.

The Pokémon was a quadruped canine that was mainly colored black with a long, orange snout and an orange underbelly. There was a large, toothed structure around his neck instead of an usual skull pendant band. HIs horns were pointed straight up with a small outward curve in the middle. He shared the same expression as his trainer, one of pure malice and sick enjoyment over tormenting someone else.

"That expression...yes that was what I was itching to see.." The blue-haired man glanced at the trainer in a manner as if he were looking down on him. "What did you think? You would be able to take me down just cause you were the runner-up of whatever the League is called and the Champion said so? More like the Champion is the reason you and you are Pokémon ended in this manner...."

The teen had nothing to respond with. He did not even know whether he was even registering the words of the maniac in front of him or not. His dull and dead eyes were fixated on his burnt Pokémon who seemed beyond the scope of recovery. Even taking the avian to the greatest of Pokécenter and Pokémon Doctors would be a pointless struggle. It wasn't even breathing in the first place.