Chapter 83 • In The Cards

Start from the beginning

The concern in his cloudy wandering eyes warms my heart and puts my mind at ease for the moment. I brush away my tears and pick up the rest of my sandwich to take a bite.

"Mm, this cheese tastes expensive. Mm. I'so creamy and delicious."

Harry chuckles at my random comment, "Only the best for the best. I remember Mum making grilled cheese sandwiches when Gem and I were growing up. It was something I always highly anticipated. Mum said she's excited to make them for her grandsons, too."

I hum in reply while I chew, reaching for a carrot stick and I feel a couple thumps on the right side of my stomach, "Mm! He's kicking."

"Really? Can I feel?"

"Sure, gimme your hand."

I leave Harry's palm splayed out on my belly while I take another bite of the delicious sandwich and we feel the baby kick again.

"Woah, this twin is strong. That's my boy," Harry proudly says. "Y'know something, he might grow up to be a footie player."

"Or an architect."

"Yes, or an architect. I wasn't boxing our boys in a specific career, I was just pointing out that he has strong legs. He could be a-a musician with strong legs. Or a teacher-"

"Harry, love, it's okay," I coo and exhales a breath, nodding gently. "Do you want to talk to them? They're awake now apparently."

Harry readily nods, moving to lie on the bed facing me. Once he's settled on his side, he feels for my belly and grins.

"Hello, my boys. This is your daddy speaking. Uhm, I've just felt you kick for the first time today. It's like you're real in there, in your mummy's tummy. You have a wonderful mummy. She loves you both so much, and so do I. And your grandma is more than excited to meet you both. All I'm saying is be prepared to eat several grilled cheese sandwiches." Smiling fondly, I blink my eyes to clear my vision and I smooth my hand on my belly. "Anyways, your mummy and I can't wait to meet you, but only when it's safe, if you know what I mean. Just know we love you both equally, okay?"

A little thump pounds on his palm, catching us off guard and it makes us laugh.

"It's like he was answering you. How sweet is that?"

"Very. It's almost magical, like, I dunno, it's a scientific miracle or something."

"Yeah, you're right. It's completely magical, Harry. You helped make that magic with me."

"So technically that means we're magicians. We could call our headlining show JJ and the Amazing Harry."

"Oh God, you and your bad jokes. I hope they're not hereditary."

"Heyyy, my jokes aren't bad. That sounds like it would be a good magic show. People all over the world would come to our show. We'd be millionaires."

"Ha, keep dreaming, mate. I don't think that's in the cards for us, but I don't need money to be happy. I've got you and my two boys. I'm happier than I've ever been; more than I thought I'd ever be."

Harry grins, "Me, too, love. You make me so happy; happier than I ever imagined."

There's an awkward pause of me just staring at him and I giggle, "I think now is the part in the sappy rom-com where we kiss."

"Oh right right," he smirks, leaning in close with my guidance and I close my eyes as our lips touch. He hums into our kiss and pecks my lips before leaning back. "Now, I'd like for you to finish your snack, including all your carrots, and then rest up."

"Ooo, rest up for what?" I excitedly ask, picking up the other half of my sandwich and I take a bite.

"I just meant rest because you and the babies need the rest, love. Doctor's orders, remember?"