Eight: pandora and patrols

Regulus

Regulus

Regulus was hardly ever surprised, apparently, he had a very pessimistic outlook according to Sirius. And so bad stuff rarely surprised him, and he wasn't disappointed often, apart from the obvious.

However, when he found Pandora doing the same thing he was, which was successfully getting into the restricted section of the library, that surprised him. She was huddled on the floor in the very far corner, clearly hiding, but Regulus had ventured far enough along the shelves that he'd spotted her. Both just as surprised as the other.

"What're you doing in here?" asked Pandora, she stayed sat down with an open book in her lap, but she seemed embarrassed to be caught. Or was she embarrassed due to the last time they spoke to one another? Both, maybe.

"Could ask you the same question," he retorted, not wanting to tell her why he was here, he didn't see that as her business.

"I asked first," she said, Regulus didn't know what to say. He was now very aware of the betrothal hanging over their heads, not that he'd stopped thinking about it, it just reminded him how real it was when the girl he was to marry was right there in front of him.

"Browsing," said Regulus, waving his hand lazily towards the many books surrounding them. She grinned and closed her book slowly. "What?"

"Browsing in the restricted section?" she asked skeptically.

"Reading a book from the restricted, in the restricted section," he countered, she pushed the book into her bag hurriedly and gave him a sarcastic smile.

"Touché."

"What is it you're reading?" he asked with mild curiosity, he didn't pin Pandora as the type to read Dark Magic material. He didn't know her all that well, but he knew she didn't have a hating bone in her body, maybe she was curious about it like he was. Although, he wasn't going to say that incase she misinterpreted what he was saying.

"Can we talk about the betrothal?" she asked, Regulus went very rigid.

He looked at her and he wanted to say no and leave, talking about stuff didn't satisfy Regulus. He'd managed dealing with everything on his own, he didn't need anyone to talk to like that. However, he could tell Pandora hadn't told anyone, not even Louise, maybe she was as embarrassed and ashamed about it as he was. There was only one way to find out. He swallowed his pride, and decided to be the person she could talk to about all of this. He had to remind himself that not everyone could just carry on with all of this in their head. He doubted he could go on any longer.

"Okay."

She made room for him in the corner, she was sat between the end of a bookshelf and a wall. He squeezed in next to her and waited for her to speak first. She had rings the shape of different animals. Whilst he had a ring with the Black family crest on it, and others passed down through the family, Pandora had ones the shapes of butterflies, one of a unicorn (that was her Patronus), and she had a Malfoy family crest one, too.