jinxed it

Summary - Tom and Zendaya add a new member to their family
Words - 951
————

"We should get a cat, Tom."

"What? Are you crazy?"

The two were sitting on the couch of their new Los Angeles house. The TV on as background noise, for both of them were busy with their own tasks. Sunlight was beaming through the cracks of the newly put up curtains. They finally felt settled into their house after a stressful two week move in process, yet Zendaya couldn't have peace for too long, and wanted to add in something new.

"I'm dead serious." Zendaya added, putting her phone down beside her to look at Tom.

"Z you know I hate cats. Also I doubt Noon would get along with one."

And as if on cue, Noon strutted into the room, jumping up on the couch and finding a spot in between them.

"Can we just go look at some, please? It might change your mind."

Zendaya's mind was set on this. She knew Tom would end up loving whatever cat they picked up, he just needed time. Before she could even think of other ways to tell him, he gave in.

"Alright, okay, when?" Tom replied defeated.

————

That afternoon, the two were at the pet store. Zendaya had spent the hours prior researching everything she needed to know, which was not much, because she had been planning to add this pet to their family for awhile, and knew most of what she would need to buy and do. Tom often was looking over her shoulder as she sat at the computer, wondering how he let her convince him so quickly.

They first went around and bought all the supplies they needed. A litter box and litter, which Tom knew he would be the one to clean it every time, a cat bed, and some toys. They got food, both wet and dry, Tom making comments about how "That's going to smell up the whole house," and Zendaya replying, "So does your cooking, but I don't complain." They finished up their shopping with other various small items they needed.

They purchased the items and went to the shelter nearby. They had to play with the dogs first, obviously.

"You know darling we could always just get another dog instead." Tom said as he played with a golden retriever who was continuously jumping on him, excited about the attention he was getting.

"I am tempted I have to admit, but it's not happening." Zendaya replied laughing, Tom playfully crossing him arms and pouting in response.

"In the future baby." Zendaya added rubbing his shoulder.

The two looked at all the dogs, then went to see if they connected with any of the cats there. This shelter had most of the cats all together in one room. There were scratching posts and mats scattered throughout the room, and various cat beds, some occupied by the felines.

As the two walked into the room with the shelter worker, two cats, one orange and one black, immediately came up to them and rubbed against their legs, wanting to be pet.

"You two can sit on the floor in the middle there if you want to play with them." The shelter worker who was helping them out, Amanda, suggested to them.

They followed her instructions, and sat next to each other while Amanda refilled one of the water bowls.

"What kind of cat are you looking for, anything specific?" She asked them from across the room.

"Honestly we'd take anything but a black cat, just because we have a small black dog, and it'd just be too confusing." Zendaya told the worker.

"Yeah you gotta have some variety." Tom added.

"Okay, that works, I'll let you spend some time with them, and if you need any suggestions just let me know. I have to clean up a bit, so I'll be around."

"That sounds great, thank you!" Tom replied.

The two sat around, some cats running from them, others being more friendly, wondering how they could only take one home. They hadn't even been in the room ten minutes, when an orange kitten, who was just sleeping, walked over and went into Tom's lap, rubbing against his chest.

"Aw look at that guy." Zendaya said as she reached over to pet the cat.

Although other cats had come up to them throughout their time, they both knew this was the one. He had light stripes, and a white stomach, but light orange fur everywhere else.

Zendaya put her head on Tom's shoulder and looked up at him.

"Is this the one?" She asked

"Yeah, I think so."

As if on cue, Amanda walked into the room, carrying some boxes full of cat toys.

"You guys look smitten with that guy. He's one of our younger ones, only 3 months old, and he is available!"

Tom told her they were ready to get him, and Amanda helped them get the paperwork and other requirements they needed to take him home.

And less than an hour later, they were ready to take their new friend home.

————

"Still don't know if I'm completely on board with the idea, darling." Tom said to Zendaya as the two were sitting on the couch.

Zendaya's back was up against Tom, and his chin resting on her shoulder. The two watched as Noon met Jinx for the first time. Noon sniffing the kittens face, while Jinx tried to hide himself as far into the corner as possible.

————

It hadn't even been a week later, when Zendaya walked into their bedroom, and came across the sight of Tom sleeping, Jinx curled up next to him. She took a quick picture of the two, and walked out with a smirk, she was right, as always.

————