Just Open Your Food Bin, Girl

Start from the beginning

"Hey!"

Ezekiel chuckled, looking up at Paul. "And who are you, stranger?"

"That's Paul," Emma sighed. "He's my... boyfriend."

"Hello, Paul, unfortunate that we have to meet under these... circumstances. Now, get to the barn. The house is ours now."

"But we need to eat-"

"We'll take care of it."

They got out, slowly making their way to the barn while Emma explained everything that had happened that day.

Ziggs was already waiting for them inside the barn. "Emma, what do we do now?"

"Birds don't live that long, right? We might just have to wait it out."

"That could take years," Paul spoke up. "And they'll just get children that want more weed."

Emma sighed. "I don't know!"

There was a soft knock at the door, and when Emma opened it, Ezekiel looked up at her. "Dinner's ready."

Suddenly, hundreds of birds appeared, latching onto Emma's body and prying her mouth open. "What are you-" But she was cut off by dozens of birds puking in her mouth. She coughed and struggled, but she couldn't win from that many birds, just closing her eyes as the disgusting liquid went down her throat.

It didn't take long before the birds were done, and they turned to Paul.

Paul backed away, staring in horror at the disgusting liquid pouring from Emma's mouth as she coughed. "I... Please, I-"

But the birds were onto him in an instant, enveloping him in a wave of brown feathers, and Emma could hear his screams as the birds spewed their vomit into his mouth.

When the birds retreated, Paul lay on the floor, his eyes squeezed shut, and white liquid dripping from his mouth.

"Paul?" Emma asked, wiping her mouth as the birds turned to Ziggs despite their protests. "Paul, now's not the time to be a germaphobe."

But Paul was shaking, his eyes closed, and he was on the edge of hyperventilating, wincing as Ziggs got their dinner.

"Paul, hey, look at me." Emma crawled toward him, making sure her hands were clean before grabbing his hand.

The birds flew away, leaving only Ezekiel in the barn, who just looked at them.

Paul let out a choked sob, tears streaming down his face. "Emma, I... I can't, I-"

"Take a deep breath," Emma instructed, using her sleeve to wipe his face clean. "That's good, another one. I'm gonna get you some water, okay?"

She stood up, and luckily, Ezekiel didn't stop her when she walked to the house to grab a cup of water and some hand sanitizer. Hiding a gun under her shirt, she walked back to the barn.

When she came back, Ezekiel was gone, and Paul sat upright against a support beam, still shaking but not as panicked anymore.

"Here," she said, handing Paul the cup of water, which he downed almost instantly.

With Paul calmed down, Emma turned to Ziggs. "Ziggy, you okay?"

Ziggs nodded, they looked miserable and tired, but not as shaken as Paul.

Emma stood up, taking the gun and flicking off the safety.

Ziggs looked at her. "What are you doing?"

"Putting an end to all this. I'm going to find Ezekiel."

With that, she left the barn and went to look for the bird, who she found on the rocking chair again. He lifted his wings in surrender when he saw her approach, the gun in her hand.

"Be careful, Perky. If you kill me, the other nighthawks will be... displeased. They might even kill you."

"I don't care. Don't you see how this is fucked up? We can't just work all day, and have you considered humans follow a different diet than you birds?"

Ezekiel seemed to consider her words. "What do you propose?"

"I'm not agreeing with you on anything, you're a dumb bird!"

She fired a shot, and the bullet hit Ezekiel in his wing. He howled in pain. The other birds got scared from the gunshot, and fled into the woods.

"Come back here!" Ezekiel yelled, but his flock was gone.

Emma aimed again, and this time killed Ezekiel.

Walking back to the barn, Emma sighed. "For such a small animal, he sure caused a lot of problems."