Chapter 1"The Only Thing I Can Do"

Start from the beginning

    “You’re hopeless.”

    “Help me with my things?” I ask ever so politely.

    Elora let out a long sigh before shaking her head. “What would you do without me?”

    Elora’s five years younger than me, but she acts like she’s the older sister. Though I must admit she’s more of an older sister than I am in almost all aspects. She’s responsible, smart and resourceful. I’m more of a ‘the achiever transitioning to the black sheep’ of the family. I turned out to be such a disappointment to them I don’t think I was able to play my role as the breadwinner at all.

    It happens, I guess.

    At least my sister got what she wanted. Well, not everything, but she still has it good compared to me.

    “Tell Matthew I’m sorry I can’t play with him on the weekend,” I told Elora, who let out a sigh. She’s helping me carry my tent to the car.

    “He’ll miss you,” she said. “Are you sure you don’t want to say goodbye?”

    “Yeah, I’m sure. He’d stop me from going.”

    “That’s what I was hoping for.”

    I shut the trunk after Elora put the last bag inside. For a final check, I read my list to make sure I got everything before the trip.

    “Matthew’s going to visit Ben on the weekend,” Elora told me, which made me look up from my list.

    “The bastard can kiss my fist before that happens.” I squinted my eyes at her, suspiciously. “Or are you saying that to stop me from going?”

    Elora smiled. “Nah, I can’t stop you either way.”

    “What does Ben want?”

    “He wants to spend time with Matthew.”

    “Should’ve done that a long time ago.”

    Ben is an asshole.

    Not only did he cheat on my sister, he was building a family with his mistress behind our backs. Matthew has a sister who’s only a month younger than him.

    No wonder he’s been too busy because had other priorities. I still hadn’t forgiven him, and neither should Elora.

    “He can fuck off,” I said.

    “He’s still Matthew’s dad.”

    There’s no use arguing. If this is what she wants then so be it. I hope she won’t come running back to me with tears in her eyes.

    I don’t want to see them hurting. Seeing Elora’s depressed state when I found her in her room was a dagger to my heart. I don’t want a repeat of that again.

    “Whatever you think is best for Matthew,” I said, finally giving in. “Don’t let him get to you, okay?”

    “I won’t.” Elora smiled, sadly.

    “Good.” I look at her, staring straight into her eyes. “Remember how you broke apart when he left.”

    I didn’t have to remind her. Elora remember all to well how her world crumbled when she found out. How she cried her heart out not for herself but for Matthew. She was beaten by the thought of raising her son alone, because her good for nothing husband left her for another woman with another child.

    The same time she didn’t want Matthew to lose his father, Elora didn’t want to deprive his sibling the same thing. She was torn, but in the end, she chose what she thinks is best for her and Matthew. It was a hard decision and she was brave enough to do it. I’m more than proud.