Eighteen: Inside Jokes

Start from the beginning

"I'm so excited," Madie said, clapping her hands together as her gaze sparkled, taking in the mountain. "This makes me want to go rent some skis and jump on the lift."

"So you can run into a tree like Beau and hit that pretty head of yours?" Bren started shaking his head back and forth rapidly. "No. Nope. Not happening."

I knew from spending most of last summer hanging in the same vicinity as Bren and Madie that she easily grew exasperated with his overprotectiveness—like right now. And it was especially worse when it came to her head.

She probably didn't realize, though, that Bren knew from what happened to my dad how deadly brain injuries could be. And Bren had already watched Madie live through one horrid blow to the head. I saw the worry in his eyes constantly, and I honestly couldn't blame him for it.

Madie gave Bren a little shove. "Oh, stop. I'm good at it, baby. I'm from South Lake Tahoe, remember? I grew up skiing." She stuck her hand on her hip. "And it's just a fact that snowboarders tend to fall way more than skiers, but don't tell Beau I said that."

When Bren rolled his eyes, Madie said, "You know, I could teach you."

"Please no. Spare me from being bad at something else."

That got a glare out of Madie, which Bren smoothed over by pulling her in for a tight tug and whispering something in her ear.

"Hey, are you okay?"

Nessa's voice, so close to my ear, startled me. I turned around to find her brown eyes watching me with a bit of concern and curiosity. I felt my cheeks flush, even in the cold mountain air.

"Oh, yeah." I shook my head, dismissing the question. "I'm fine."

But everything about Nessa's expression told me she didn't believe me, so I mumbled, "I'm just a little worried about Beau."

Nessa's gaze grew wide before she pulled back with a cheeky grin. "Yeah, he was acting a little weird this morning. Did you notice?"

Weird wasn't the word I'd use to describe this morning, Nessa.

The things Beau had said in bed hadn't exactly surprised me; I knew what he was like when he flipped that switch. God yes, I knew what he was like. But the things he'd said before walking away from me earlier? Yeah, weird didn't cut it.

This was a new Beau, and I didn't know how to handle him yet.

When I couldn't seem to find the same amusement she did, her smile faltered. "What are you worried about?"

Words failing me, I jabbed my finger toward the monstrosity on the hill before us. Understanding dawned on Nessa's face, and I was quick to elaborate on my concerns.

"He really shouldn't be competing today after his injury yesterday."

Nessa sighed before looking back over her shoulder. I assumed it was in search of Grayson, who had gone off searching for something hot to drink like ten minutes ago. When her boyfriend was nowhere to be found, she leaned in closer to me again.

"Trust me, I understand exactly how you're feeling. Men are freaking stubborn and act like fools when it comes to sports."

"I heard that, darling."

Nessa jumped, whipping around to scowl at Grayson. He sported a crooked grin that I recognized as one he always used while teasing his girlfriend. And I could tell how much it drove her wild, in more ways than one.

"I also saw you searching for me a second ago," he added, yanking on one of her long brown braids that popped out from beneath a mustard-colored hat. "But you weren't even close to looking in the right direction."