Reunion - Part 19

Start from the beginning

"The gloves should cover the cybernetic. I need your help with this necklace though. Struggling with the clasp because of my metal fingers," she said, holding the necklace out towards him.

He took the necklace from her hand, draping it across her collar bone as she carefully shifted her hair out of the way. She felt his breath on the back of her neck as he leaned down, the metal making a slight tinkling noise as he moved the clasp into place.

"There," he said quietly, and she felt his fingers graze down her bare shoulder blades before slipping around her waist. Rex rested his chin on her shoulder as she reached for the gloves, pulling the left one on carefully over her metal limb and stretching it up her arm to fully cover it.

"You seem distracted," he murmured against her skin before placing a kiss to the spot just behind her ear, sending goosebumps shooting down her arms. She turned her face towards him slightly, leaning in as his lips wandered down her neck and across her shoulder.

"Why ever would I be distracted when you're doing that?" she teased, but he gripped her waist tighter.

"You know that's not what I'm talking about."

She sighed, leaning back into him. "Just nerves," she said. Half true. Senna could tell Rex wasn't completely buying it, but he also wasn't going to fight her on it. Placing her gloved hand into his chest, she pressed him back from her as she took him in. The dark grey of the Imperial uniform contrasted sharply against his features, making his dark hair stand out even more in her mind. Same kind eyes though, she thought as he watched her. He had dark gloves tucked into his pocket and boots polished to within an inch of their life. She smiled.

"I hate to say it since it's an Imperial uniform, but you look nice, Commander."

He slipped his arm around her waist. "Never did much like being a commander."

She leaned into his touch. "Maybe we can change that tonight after this thing is over."

He dipped his head down to nip at her just below her jaw, and Senna felt heat rising in her cheeks.

"I look forward to it, my love," he said, his voice husky.

She giggled in spite of her concern, sweeping past him out of the refresher and giving herself one more onceover in the full-length mirror that sat in the corner of the room. Finally she sighed.

"I think that'll have to do."

Rex was pulling his gloves on across the room, and when she turned, a hunger was lurking behind his brown irises. "If you keep looking at me like that, we're going to be late and I'll have to redo my hair and make-up," she teased.

He shrugged. "Small price to pay, I'd argue." However, he maintained his composure. Senna felt herself flush as he came to join her, slipping his hand into hers and leaning over to press one more gentle kiss against her cheek.

"Ready?" Rex breathed against her ear.

"As I'll ever be," she whispered back, squeezing his hand lightly.

"Alright then. Let's go." Rex opened the door to their room as Senna smoothed the skirt she was wearing nervously. The two of them strode down the hall together, and Senna fought the nerves rising in her throat. You've done this before. Simple enough. Why are you so nervous? Rex slipped his arm around her waist as they stepped into the lift that would take them to the ground floor of the Canto Bight hotel, and Senna leaned into him. Glancing up, she noted his smile as he met her gaze, but the tightness in his jaw didn't go unnoticed. He's nervous too.

They presented their chain codes to the guards at the door to the main ballroom, and Senna could feel Rex tense slightly. Never does get easier to wait. But Tech had done his work well, and their credentials were quickly passed back to them as they were granted access to the main ballroom. Senna took a deep breath as she clutched Rex's arm, her eyes roving the attendees.