4- In Through the Window

Start from the beginning

And suddenly it's a mad dash to hide everything that has to do with tae kwon do. My uniform, belt, weapons, trophies, medals, pictures, certificates, any gear I've left lying around. I put it all in the closet, where most things go to be hidden. Thank goodness I cleaned my room last weekend. I pull out a thick comforter that I don't really use anymore, a pillow or two, and like, three blankets to make a makeshift bed for Robby. Okay... I think that's everything. If either of us has to use the bathroom, it's gonna have to wait until... maybe as late as midnight, when I can be sure the coast is clear.

In the meantime, I try to play on my phone to appear nonchalant and not a nervous wreck when he gets here. I had planned on crying all night or something, but that can wait I guess. My heart kinda pounds at the idea of Robby being in my room, let alone staying the night. I just hope he's alright with everything... hell, I hope I'm alright with everything. I'm not used to being a host, especially not in... these circumstances.

Alright, the phone isn't doing it, I'm just gonna work on science or something.

It's been fifteen- now sixteen- minutes and he's still not here. Maybe he was just messing with me. What if he died or something?! Ay Dios mío what if something horrible happened to him?! Should I send a text? I know I won't be able to bring myself to call; I never call without texting first unless it's absolutely urgent, and it usually isn't. No, everything is okay, he's just late, it's okay. He rides his skateboard everywhere, it's probably just taking him longer than he expected, it's okay, it's okay. If I could just not overthink for like, two minutes, that would be fantastic. Ay caramba, I need to calm down.

As soon as I get any level of relaxed, I hear a soft rapping at my window. I almost throw my phone in shock. Damn it, he probably saw. I cross over to the window to find Robby Keene staring back at me. He grins as we make eye contact and I can't help but smile. I open the window, then carefully pop out the screen. It's easier to get it in and out than I once thought it was. I found that out a little over half a year ago, when I finally gathered the courage to sneak out to get to tae kwon do while my dad was mad at me and wouldn't take me himself.

"Can't say I'm used to being welcomed into a house through the window," he says as he steps through. My face goes a little hot. I would never risk the front or even the back door at a time like this. The window was the safest, most direct option. I shrug it off.

"Guess I'm just special," I say, putting the screen back in and shutting the window. I'm actually painfully average, but we don't talk about that. I hope he's not picking up on how nervous I am right now. Juro por Dios , I hope he can't hear my dad...

"You really are," he replies. Damn it Keene why did you have to say that? Now my whole body is all hot.

"So... what's with the dresser?" He asks, "and the window too."

I sigh. I need more time before I talk about this...

"I'll explain later. What about you? I thought there was a party you were going to with Sam," I say. His face falls. Oh no...

"Hey... if you don't wanna talk about it, it's totally fine, I get it," I say, falling onto the bed and scooting into the safety corner. The decision to get a day bed was a good one. It makes more sense with my- what some would call absurd- amount of pillows and blankets, and it's a good relaxation spot. I motion for him to sit down too, and he does, slipping off his shoes. Oh thank goodness. If he was gonna put shoes on the bed, I was gonna go full Mamá-with-chancleta on him.

"No, it's okay... I just don't know how to feel about what happened," he says. I know the feeling. I hate it. That confused, and probably angry, feeling. It's awful.