making plans when you already have plans is a different kind of stupid

Start from the beginning

"Mrow."

Mikan seems to glare at you from her perch on the high shelves—as if judging your inability to make a decision right then and there. You sigh. Yep. You won't get anything done if you beat around the bush like this.

"Itto?"

He glances at you curiously when you step out of the shop, twisting the faucet mounted on the wall outside to stop the water from flowing from the hose. "What's up?"

His tone of voice is just like the usual, but you've been around this guy long enough to gauge whether the conversation is going to be uncomfortable or not. From the way Itto is steadily avoiding your gaze, you think that's exactly where the two of you are headed.

Arataki-san might also have the tendency to sulk.

"Do you want to hang out in the city with me tonight?"

You ask him as casually as you can, tucking your hands behind your back as you pretend to survey the plants he was watering just now. Though you're a bit surprised to see that Itto hasn't damaged any of the leaves. His first time handling the spray nozzle was a nightmare at best, and you find it kind of endearing that he's slowly learning his way around the shop. First it was inventory, and now this?

He doesn't deserve to be turned down at all.

"I'm...sorry?" Itto drawls. "Did I hear you right, master?"

Suddenly, you feel a rush of heat crawl up to your cheeks. "Yeah. We couldn't celebrate last night, so I thought you might want to celebrate yesterday's sales later instead."

He meets your explanation with astonished silence—like he can't quite come to terms with what he's being told. This incites a bad feeling that maybe Itto didn't want to spend time with you anymore. That his interest to do so was merely confined to the previous evening, and that he'd already let it go. But when that adorably stupid smile makes its way back home on his lips, you feel your heart do somersaults in your ribcage.

"I'd love to," he says, and you don't miss the way his voice trembles with excitement. "So what's it gonna be? A late night cruise on my bike? Dinner by candle light? I can't foot the bill just yet by the way. Or do we go drinking? Which I also do not have the sufficient funds for."

You roll your eyes, but the ditzy smile on your face persists anyways. "If you told me I was the one paying when you invited me last night, I would've slammed the door in your face."

Itto grins, bracing both hands on his hips as he puffs out his chest proudly. "It's a good thing you're the one who asked me out this time around, eh? I've got the most thoughtful master in Hanamizaka! Oh, hey there~"

Your conversation is duly interrupted by Mikan's sudden appearance—your tabby curling herself around Itto's legs affectionately. He wastes no time picking her up and cradling her in his arms, and despite the fact that you should be exasperated, all you feel is relief. The awkward tension that's been dragging since Itto timed in disappeared just like that, thanks to Kazuha's 'unsolicited' advice. Maybe you'll tip him extra once he delivers the flowers to your parents.

"How about we just hang out at Amakane Square or something? One of our regulars told me there's a cultural festival happening for two weeks over there," you propose before tentatively adding, "Plus, I'm not getting on your bike until you renew your driver's license, mister."

"Aw, come on! You've sampled my driving skills, right?" Itto pouts as he tickles Mikan's nose. "If you're not dead or in a coma, that should be fine."

You scowl at him. "No?! Itto, just because neither of us are in the hospital, doesn't mean that's the golden standard for driving. So if you want me to hop on your motorcycle, you need to show me that updated license. Got that?"