revealing someone else's tragic backstory is NOT cool, okay?

HELLO IM BACK!! Exams kicked my ass for an entire month but it's CRHISTMASSSSSSSS I was so sad when I opened the gdoc for this chapter and realized i haven't touched it in literally one month *sobbinf*

Now that that's out of the way, little heads up before you read bc I forgot to emphasize this in earlier chapters: in this AU, Itto isn't an actual oni, but he's still a beeg himbo. It's for that reason that I never described his horns in the previous chapters + all the other oni features he has in game (pointy ears, sharp nails). Hope you understand!

Another thing, CONTENT WARNING for some swift descriptions of blood and injury. Thought someone might need that tagged.

...

About half a bottle of antiseptic and a futile search for first aid tutorials later, you afford yourself a breather.

The floor is cold against your legs when you finish securing the gauze around Arataki—uh, Itto's—chest. Your heart races as you wipe the sweat off your face, half-wondering if you did any more bad than good. Because even if you've taken a couple of bandaging lessons for fun in college, you never would've thought you had to use the information in real life; more so to patch up an unsuspecting gang leader, of all people.

Thankfully, the man in question is out cold, snoring softly on top of your sofa which is a bit too small to accommodate someone of his stature. Itto promptly passed out after his strange chain of requests and you aren't sure if it's fear for his safety or an adrenaline rush that helped you drag this six-foot-something idiot up to your apartment. Whatever it was, it wore off the moment you stepped onto the second floor, and your poor couch was the only comfortable surface in the vicinity.

But, hey, it's a better alternative than dumping him in your bedroom, right? Now that would be weird—mysteriously injured or not. Speaking of injuries, though...

Once you managed to pry the stuffy coat off him, you practically gasped at the sight of Itto's beaten bloody back. You assumed he got stabbed when he walked into the shop, but the sight that beheld you confirmed that this was more than just a small-time squabble. With careful yet trembling hands, you swiftly cleaned up the blood that threatened to stain your sofa—heart aching every time Itto seemingly winced in his sleep.

Some cuts ran deeper than the rest, but not to the point where he'd need stitches, thank Archons. But while you disinfected the wounds, you noticed not all of them were new. Between those angry red gashes were occasional patches of scarred flesh—the raised, discolored skin a stark contrast against the rippling muscles of Itto's bare back.

You could only wonder what sort of mess he got himself entangled in.

In the present, a long, long sigh flees your lips, getting up on shaky feet as you move to clean up the mess of gauze and bandages you left on the coffee table. Mikan has been your quiet audience all this time—green eyes never leaving the unconscious gang leader in your living room. You wonder if she's gotten attached enough to Itto for her not to prance around like usual. But you can almost ask yourself the same thing with how diligently you've tended to his injuries. However, before you can even dispose of the bloodied cotton swabs in the bin, a rather intrusive thought occurs to you.

Why did Itto choose to go to you?

Alright, maybe he didn't want any of his boys to worry. But surely he could trust at least one of them about...whatever the hell he was dealing with? Like...like Haru! He seems like a reliable guy—more put-together than most gangsters. Hell, you're even ninety percent sure that Shinobu will forgive him for all of this after a thorough scolding, before proceeding to take care of him like usual.