Prologue: Curious Beginnings

"Now Jim, remember that one light-year is equivalent to almost nine point four six trillion kilometers, taking an average person around thirty-seven thousand years to travel, ah but those are just the basics," Delbert enthusiastically pointed out, "Going back to this simple equation I've written for you here, what number best substitutes..." 

Rather than mirroring the same attitude the doctor had for astronomy, Jim was mindlessly fiddling with a scratch paper at hand, folding them into a shape of what seemed like an aero-sailor. 

"Yeah, sure. Whatever you say, doc."

"I was asking you the question," Delbert sighs for the fifth time. 

"Hey wanna see something cool?" with a fling of his wrist, he tossed the crafted sheet into the air and watched it loop consecutively before hitting against Delbert's forehead, "Score!"

Sixth time.

'How on Terran space am I supposed to teach this boy?'

Living in the shoes of Sarah Hawkins must have not been an easy task and Delbert knew it far too well. He saw the amount of toll taken upon her when Leland left a year ago. Jim was only eight at that time. The tender bright-eyed child who used to welcome the local miners so cheerfully had become distant and brooding as the months went by. However, the mischief remains, too much to the point that it became his main reputation. There were many moments when authorities came bursting through the door, holding Jim captive and his distressed mother trying to calm down the customers from witnessing yet another one of her son's troubling antics. Thus, Delbert felt compelled to help as much as he could.

If only he knew what he was signing himself up against. 

Jim stretched his arms to the lever and rolled down the holoblinds. He took a quick glance through the window, outside was still pouring and the sky was getting dark. Slumping down the wooden chair, he makes a low grunt, "Man when is this going to be over. I wanna go surf, not do some nerdy shit.

'Why you insolent, uncultured head-of-an-ache brat!' He wanted to say. Tongue-tied and flabbergasted, Delbert refrained his temper knowing it wasn't his place to do so. 

"Jim this isn't the time. You have an assignment due tomorrow and your mother asked me to help you complete it," he says sternly, "Speaking of which, she should be arriving any moment now."

"Psh who cares it's not like I actually want to go to school," Jim apathetically replied, "All the adults are so annoying and they think the same way to me too so what's the point."

The doctor softens. There was truth in those words. Still, he couldn't bring himself to agree so brazenly, "W-Well you see Jim, as long as you're-"

"Delbert!" 

Suddenly the door swings open and thunder cries in the background. Water drips from Sarah's cloak as she stumbles inside while carrying several pieces of baggage that seemed too large for her comfort.

"What happened?" Delbert rushes to her aid.

"Mom you're back!" the boy chirps and jumps, "Did you go to the market? Did you buy anything from the tool store?"

Still catching her breath she shakes her head in response. They noticed that something had been wrapped tightly between the remainder of her cloth. Or rather, someone.

"Heavens, what did you get yourself into Sarah?"

Jim's eyes expanded at the mere sight. It was normal for his mother to bring inside people who are in need. After all, compassion was a trait that most neighbors of Montressor would use to describe the Innkeeper. Sheltered in those arms revealed a young girl wearing clothes that would not suit the current weather. She was asleep. At least she seemed to be. Judging by the fact she had no shoes on and the dirt stains marring her skin, it wouldn't be surprising if the girl had also been injured along the way. 

Her hands...they're shivering.

"When I was walking my way back, I had to take another route because the roads were blocked by a new construction project," Sarah began exasperatedly. Delbert helped put aside the food baskets, allowing her to ease towards the fireplace, "Then it rained and I had to rush or else the rain will ruin the ingredients. And after I passed by the trenches," she lays the girl by the carpet, "I found her behind a coal pile and-"

"Calm down Sarah, there's no need to panic. We're all safe now."

"It's just," Sarah ails and palmed against her forehead, "Who would abandon someone in a place like that? If I didn't take that detour, who knows what could've happened."

While the two adults were caught up in their separate worries, Jim slowly inched closer to examine the girl's face. Water continued to drip down from her brow, he noticed that they were being tightly furrowed together, signaling that perhaps she was still somewhat conscious to feel it all. Abandoned. Alone. Confused. It was a miracle that someone was able to save her. The thought brings a sense of consolation and Jim couldn't help but be soothed by that. He hesitantly cupped his hands over hers' until warmth spreads over cold. The boy's wide gaze observed carefully to catch any signs of reaction. Ever so slightly, her quivering body begins to slow to a tense halt. He held his breath. Then a soft smile formed his face when he felt her relax. 

"It'll be okay," whispered Jim.

And unexpectedly, she blinked. Though her eyes waver, barely able to fully open, she guided them to fall on the first person in sight. A sea of cerulean blue shaped in orbs, and through those blues he saw stars. They locked gazes, enchanted by nothing except for the incomprehensible feeling of enigma akin to those sailors enamoured by wanderlust as they stand before a planet of gold.

Delbert and Sarah turned to see the girl's newly awakened state, mouths hung agape.

"Thank goodness, she's alive!" Praised the doctor.

"Of course, she was," Jim deadpanned.

Sarah only sighs in relief, "We should get her cleaned up as soon as possible. I'll prepare the food. Delbert, I know I already asked much of-"

"No worries Sarah, I'll go prepare a warm bowl of water with some dry towels," he interrupts matter-of-factly, "The two of us will take care of everything from here. If I may suggest, perhaps the vegetable soup would be helpful in this situation."

"Thank you, Delbert, I'll do just that," then the mother turned towards her son, "Looks like you're going to make a new friend, aren't you?"

Jim returned a confused expression before focusing on where she was eyeing. His hands were still joined in hers, their fingers curling together, tightly yet gently. The girl was fast asleep once again but this time, instead of shaking under the lonely rain she felt the hearth of a fireplace and the presence of someone else. Sarah couldn't help letting out a small giggle. Kids were so adorable at this age.

"I guess," he muttered lowly. If there was one thing the storybooks taught him, it definitely sharpened his anticipation of what would happen next. Jim wondered about the girl. What was her name? Where did she come from? Who is she, exactly? 

I want to know.

Hailing beyond Montressor ceased the rain with stars gathering the sky, carving a path into the distance. While Benbow Inn is but a hush,  the etherium wind called upon the voyages that settled between sailors and pirates alike. A new companion, a new family, a new journey. This was only the beginning. 

===========

(A/N): Hello readers. Thank you for making it all the way to the end. I wanna give some heads up in case there's any confusion.

Holoblinds: in Treasure Planet lore, its basically when Sarah covered the window just before Blilly Bones entered the Inn. (Holobook was the book Jim read in the start of the movie, Hololocket it the necklace Sarah wears in the movie too).

Yes Jim is 9 years old in this chapter. We're going back to the past!!!! (And childhood friends are my guilty pleasure)

I look forward to writing more. Bon voyage!