Chapter 8

"Y/n!" I screech, running to the body, Jorge and the others calling to me as I do. I let out a sigh of relief upon realizing it wasn't y/n before whipping my head around, searching for her. Where is she?

I hear a sound, like a whimpering dog, to my right. I look, only to see y/n with her knees pulled to her chest. I carefully make my way up to her.

"Y/n?" I whisper, putting a hand on her arm. A scream escapes her lips and she starts shaking even more. "Hey, y/n, it's okay. It's me. It's Newt." She pushes me away each time I try to get close, still crying. "Y/n, it's Newt. It's Newt." I mutter over and over. I finally manage to pull her into my arms and rock her back and forth. She slowly calms down and grabs onto my shirt. I rub circles on her back and she looks up at me.

"I didn't want to-" she sobs. "I-I had to do it."

"Shh, it's okay. You did what you had to and I am proud of you." I whisper, hugging her even tighter. "It's okay. It's okay." I murmur over and over. Slowly, she stops crying and looks up at me.

"I'm sorry." She whispers before standing up and joining the rest of the group. I stand up and follow her. Before I can ask her anything, Jorge speaks up.

"What happened?"

"She-she came in, out of nowhere, and attacked me." She pauses. "I had no other choice. I had to. I didn't want to. I didn't want to." I come up and put a hand on her shoulder as she starts to tremble again.

"I know you didn't." Jorge replies, his usually mean and composed self disappearing.

"She was so young." Y/n whispers.

"That's why W.I.C.K.E.D. is doing all of this." Teresa mumbles. "Maybe we should go back." We all whip our heads around to stare at her, jaws dropped.

"Are you crazy?" Minho exclaims. "We can't go back! They'll kill us!"

"Why don't we all calm down and get out of here. We need to find Brenda and your little friend." Jorge interjects. "Let's go."

Y/N's POV

That little girl...she was so young. She didn't deserve it. She didn't deserve to die. I hold back more tears as I walk beside Newt, following Jorge through the terrain. Eventually, we stop for the night and Minho sits with Jorge, talking strategy for the days to come. Newt sits next to me, arm around my shoulder as I lean into him.

"Where's Thomas? And that other girl...Brenda?" I question quietly.

"They got separated when the building collapsed." Newt replies, pulling me closer to him. "That's where we're headed now; to get them." I nod slightly, eyes closing.

"Mm. Okay." He starts running his fingers through my hair. "Where are we going?"

"To meet with Thomas and Brenda."

"I know that. You just said that. But where are we going to do that?"

"Oh. I don't know." He shrugs. "Are you okay?"

"Mhm. I'm just a little tired."

"I bet. It's been a lot the last few days."

"Yeah." I yawn. I snuggle up closer to him and we sit in silence, staring at the fire Fry had started as the both of us slowly fall asleep.

I look around at the half-destroyed buildings around us, making sure to keep away from other people as Jorge instructed. Why would they be here? I think to myself. We make our way to a building with many people outside of it. Jorge exchanges some words with the guy out front, and when Jorge punches the man in the face, I can't help but think he isn't too happy with the response.

"I'll take care of him," Jorge says. "Go look for Brenda and your friend inside there."

Inside, we find Brenda first, either drunk or high in some kind of substance, we couldn't tell. Minho and Fry carefully take her out to meet Jorge while Newt and I search for Thomas. We hear a commotion and make our way over to where the most people are, only to find him passed out on the ground.

"Thomas!" I yell, running to him, Newt on my heels. I turn him over and pull him into my lap, trying to make sure he is still alive. I find a pulse, thankfully but he won't wake up, no matter how many times I call his name. I look up at Newt. "He's not waking up." Newt nods, bends down next to me and hoists Thomas onto his shoulders.

"He's going to be okay, y/n. I promise." I nod, following him out of the building to find Jorge, whom we find in some random room with the guy from before tied to a chair.