Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Morning Bilbo" I called out from my spot in the garden, hearing the door to the house opening behind me. I half turned my head so that I could wave at my brother as he shut the door behind himself.

"Ah, good morning Bella" he waved back giving me a smile. I turned back to my garden, plucking slugs of the rose leaves.

"It actually is a good morning, isn't it. Feels like a day when amazing things should happen."

I flicked a slug off my finger accidentally hitting our neighbor as he walked past.

"Ooh sorry, Mister Worrywart!" I called out

"You know you're right" Bilbo began "Great things should be happening today. Maybe I will go to the market and pick up some fresh trout"

I looked at him with what could only be described as disappointment.

"Brother is that really what you see as an amazing day?" I said, shaking my head.

"You're right. I'll pick up some cakes today. We can really treat ourselves."

I let out an audible sigh. What had happened to the adventurous Bilbo, the one that would drag me to the woods at four in the morning to go looking for elves. The one that believed someday we would fight a real-life dragon, side by side. Age had changed him. Just like it changes all hobbits.

"You know Bilbo, you really should listen to your sister sometimes. Adventure can be more than just what you're having for dinner tonight." I looked up to see an old man in grey robes with a big pointy grey hat on his head. I recognized him from somewhere but I couldn't quite place it.

"Good Morning," Bilbo said, obviously shocked and confused as to where this stranger had come from.

"What do you mean? Do you mean to wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?" he retorted.

I smothered a laugh whilst moving next to Bilbo. I sat down on the grass next to his bench and looked up at the stranger with both confusion and intrigue.

"All of them at once I suppose," Bilbo answered, but I was only half paying attention. The other half was trying to figure out where on earth I knew this old man from.

"Can we help you?" Bilbo asked, obviously not as intrigued by this stranger as I was, he actually seemed kind of annoyed.

"That remains to be seen," the man said.

"Ooh mYsTeriOus," I said, earning me a look from a slightly disgruntled Bilbo.

"Yes Arabella, it is indeed mysterious as I am looking for someone or someone to share in an adventure." said the old guy.

'Ooh, an adventure' I thought, 'We could finally leave the shire. Live out all those stories we had created. Wait but how did he know my name?'

"Count us-" I tried to say we would happily accept but I was cut off by Bilbo.

"An adventure? No, I don't imagine anyone one west of Bree would have much interest in adventures. Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things. Make you late for dinner. Heh, heh.Mm, huh. Oh ah. Good Morning." He said the good morning with a tone that said Bugger off old man.

"But Bilbo," I said, pleading with my eyes that he would change his mind.

"To think that I should have lived to be "good morninged" by Belladonna Tooks sin as if I were selling buttons at the door." Weird. He clearly knew us but I still didn't know where I recognized him from.

"Beg your pardon," asked Bilbo.

"You've changed, and not entirely for the better, Bilbo Baggins," said the grey man. By now it was just weird.

"Okay, now I have to ask, where on Middle Earth do I know you from old man?" I asked

"I am going to ignore that last part. You know my name, although you don't remember I belong to it. I'm Gandalf, and Gandalf means... ... me."

"Ooooh, that's where I know you from. Hi Grandy Gandy it's been far too long" I laughed waving at him. He gave me a small wave and a smile before turning back to bilbo.

"Gandalf? Not Gandalf the wandering wizard... ...who made such excellent fireworks? Old Took used to have them on midsummer's Eve. No idea you were still in business." said Bilbo.

"And where else should I be'

I turned to stare at Bilbo.

'Choose your next words very careful Bilbo" I said trying not to burst out laughing"

"Where else? Ahem"

"Well, I am pleased to find the two of you remember something about me, even if it is only my fireworks. Well, then it's decided. It will be very good for you Bilbo and very amusing for myself and Arabella. I shall inform the others."

"Inform who?" me and Bilbo said in sync. This was getting more and more interesting by the second.

"What? No. No. No... Wait. We do not want any adventures here, thank you. Not today. Not... I suggest you try Over the Hill or Across the Water. Good morning." he said before basically strutting inside slamming the door behind him.

"Ooh sorry about him. I can't speak for him but I am very excited to see what you are planning." I said standing up and walking over to him.

"You will be finding out later of that I am sure. Now you should probably head inside before your brother passes out" He said, leading me to the door.

"Yeah that might be a good idea" I laughed as I walked inside and waved goodbye to him.

"What on middle earth just happened out there?" said Bilbo the second I closed the door.

"Honestly I don't know but I have a feeling something big is gonna happen"

"There is no way we are going along with what he's planning"

"Aww come on Bilbo don't be a bo- is that Gandalf?"

We both looked to the door and saw Gandalf peeking through the side window and then walking away.

"What was that about?" I yelled " This is frigging weird at this point"

"I don't know and I don't want to know. I am just gonna go read and then make dinner and sleep" he grumbled before making his way to his room.

"Alright I'll just stay out by myself then and I'll do all the shopping thanks, Bilbo," I said to myself. This was all a lot to think about. Maybe I will get some more ax and fighting training before whatever Gandalf has planned comes knocking on our door.

Thank you so much for reading. Please vote and comment. Thanks love doves