Chapter 41

∼⋄∼⋄∼ ○❖○ ∽⋄∽⋄∽

Although the tension between them was quite palpable, Emilia and Bucky didn't show it.

Therefore, the upcoming events provided enough distraction from what was sticking between them.

The computer had spit out some information that led the group to a man named Dr. Nagel. In the container complex at the port, they found out he could produce enough new serum to create some optimized super soldiers.

They were aware that this meant a lot of new problems.

Dr. Nagel reported on Karli Morgenthau. She had stolen the serum and disappeared with it out of sight.

There was nothing more to get out of him, because Zemo killed him without warning.

They then had to dig their way out of the dicey situation that had arisen. Because not only the bounty hunters from Madripoor City were on their heels.

Also the new Captain America and his friend pursued them still.

That they also ran into Sharon Carter during all this didn't surprise Emilia one bit. After all, it was she who unknowingly put Bucky, Sam and Zemo on her track.

Although the cool blonde was helping the group in some ways and watching their backs, Emilia remained skeptical. There was something about her that she couldn't figure out.

What it was would hopefully become clear soon.

∼⋄∼ ○❖○ ∽⋄∽

The following night, Zemo's jet headed for Latvia. They hoped to find Karli and her supporters there - as well as the serum.

Sam worried about the people who lost their lives for it. And also about Steve's shield, which was given to John Walker as the new Captain America.

Racism and hatred was still present today and Sam, as a black man, couldn't reconcile it with his conscience to represent values as Captain America that he didn't stand behind.

He no longer saw only Steve behind the shield and the star-spangled banner, but more importantly a nation in which minorities were still oppressed. So how could he have accepted the shield as the new Captain America?

"Maybe I made a mistake. Maybe I shouldn't have put it in a museum. Maybe I should have destroyed it."

"Look, that shield represents a lotta things to a lotta people, including me. The world is upside down and we need a new Cap, and it ain't gonna be Walker. So before you destroy it, I'll take it from him myself."

Bucky couldn't see his doubts and concerns. He wanted to preserve his best friend's memory at all costs - any way he could.

Emilia listened to the conversation in one of the seats behind them. It was between the two men and she didn't want to get involved. However, she could understand both sides.

Her hope that Bucky and Sam could work it out remained steady. Especially after she saw how well they actually got along. Even if you wouldn't guess it at first glance, their mutual teasing and tipping was an indication to Emilia that they did care about each other.

On the screen, she was evaluating some traces of the committed acts of the Flag Smashers and Karli. Not long, and she noticed the scheme behind it.

The group was trying to attract attention. Every action with which they represented their opinions became bigger and more dangerous. The news about an explosion a few hours ago made Emilia suspect bad things.