Coal Digger

"Hey, Mom

"Hey, Mom." Haley came into the kitchen as Claire is grabbing the milk from the fridge.
"Yeah?" Clair asked as Haley sat at the counter.

"Can I have $40 for lunch?" Haley asked as she gave Cassie a kiss who let a giggle while  seating in her high chair.
"Forty dollars?" Claire turned around with the milk and put some in Cassie's sippy cup.
"I also need a book for school." Haley says putting her school supplies in her backpack.
"What book?" Claire ask giving Cassie her sippy cup.
"I want a dress." Haley sighs.
"Do you have any idea what a bad liar you are?" Claire asks smug as Haley rolls her eyes.
"I'd be more worried that she couldn't come up with a single book title." Alex speaks up as she does homework at the table.

Phil walks in "Luke, come on. We're late."
Claire looks at Luke while picking Cassie up and resting her on her hip "Mmm, there's a first— inside out and backwards. At least it' isn't zipped into his— Oh. There it is." She hands Cassie to Phil.

LITTLE BIT LATER

"No problem. We'll be right down. Thanks." Claire was on the phone while watching Cassie who was on the ground playing with her toys.
She hung up then dialed Phil's number.
Phil picks up "Hey, honey, what's up?"
"The school just called. Luke got into a fight." Claire responds back putting Minny mouse flats on Cassie.
"Oh, geez. Is he okay?" Phil asks.
"Yeah, he's fine, but they want us to come down there. Where are you?" Claire asks.
"I'm showing a house." Phil answers.
"What house?" Claire looks confused as she grabs her keys.
"I'm golfing." He confessed.
The phone hangs as she picks Cassie back up.

She walks outside to put Cassie in her car seat while she starts to whine.  Then they were off to pick Phil up.

AT THE SCHOOL

they got to the school.  Phil got Cassie out as Claire got the stroller to put Cassie in. Then they walked into the school. "I bet it was that Durkas kid." Claire says as they come around the corner.

"I hate that kid." Phil says.
"He probably jumped on Luke and Luke just fought back." Claire says as Cassie started baby talking. "Kids a menace."
"He made fun of fun of my hair once." Phil says.
"Shh. The parents are probably in there." Claire shushes.
"I slept on it funny. Like that never happened to him?" Phil states as they open the door.

They walked confused at seeing Gloria and Claire's dad.
"What are you doing here?" Claire asks.
"These two knuckleheads were fighting each other." Jay responds back.
"What?" Claire ask coming in farther as Cassie lets out a baby squeak at the sight of her grandfather.
"Could've been worse. I was not ready to face Durkas today." Phil exclaims as they sit down with the stroller beside them.