In Another Lifetime

Start from the beginning

The auburn-haired faked a gasp, a bit too dramatically as his palm flew to cover his mouth. "You don't have to expose me like that."

"I'm in, lads," Hongjoong cut their conversation from going on. He then followed suit, getting up and brushing his lower outfit. "I want to test my luck on such a bright Saturday morning."

"O-oh, interesting," Wooyoung chirped in a singsong voice as he let his arm hang around the older's shoulder. "Alright then, let's go!"

Yunho decided to go along a few steps behind, albeit reluctantly as his mind was pondering over some things that seemed to be bothering him since Hongjoong had brought up the subject. He looked at them chatting, with Wooyoung being the bubbly person he already was and telling the eldest about his journey yesterday, which wasn't the most wholesome he'd ever had because apparently, he was met with four wild boars in the forest on the way to the neighbouring village. Thankfully, he heard him say, it wasn't dark yet and he had managed to walk past them by not giving any eye contact while muttering silent prayers. Hongjoong chuckled, amused by the story that managed to make him momentarily forget about all the chaos inside his head, replying with a 'That was close' and 'Teleporting should've been allowed.'

Even though they were going down the hill, it somehow felt like the weather was getting blowier and colder. Yunho rubbed his palms together since the long sleeves he had on didn't seem to help warm his body. He could see some people emerging from the corner at the end of the road that was not any wider than four metres, which meant one thing: it wouldn't take long to reach the village compound. As he walked past some villagers, he suddenly stopped on his track, once more being reminded of the primary intention of the eldest. It wasn't like he disagreed with the idea; he was simply concerned—or too concerned at that.

He kicked the small rocks that were on his way. But how can I not be when the past trials were all fruitless, and when the consequences won't be pleasing?

He then quickened his pace to catch up with the other two and eventually stopped right in front of them before they could turn left to a much wider street, blocking their view from what was known as the village entrance. He extended his left arm, signalling both of them to halt. Hongjoong looked unbothered as if he had half expected Yunho to confront him, while Wooyoung knitted his eyebrows in confusion.

"Hongjoong," he mentioned in particular, "you literally live at this village"—Yunho splayed out his other hand and looked back for a second, confirming to himself—"and you've wandered around so many times. You'll probably stumble across the same people and end up empty-handed for the nth time. The prophecy—"

"Put a sock in it, will you!?" Hongjoong said through gritted teeth, raising his voice unwittingly and making the other two flinch at their spot. His fists were balled from the sudden emotion; his nostrils flared in exasperation. "I'm probably out of my mind right now—though I guess I've always been for the last eight years anyway—but I've got nothing to lose, okay? I don't care about the prophecy anymore. I'm still alive until now, and that sums it all up."

No, Yunho thought, the word stuck on his throat. I'm pretty sure you do have something you'll lose, and I think you're oblivious to it.

His telepathic ability was slowly irritating him, and the fact that he could not say something through his mind to other people unless they had the same ability irritated him even more. If only Wooyoung was like him, he could have mentioned the prophecy without having to open his mouth, telling him that what Hongjoong was faced with was most likely not what they would want.

The youngest put his palm on the blonde's shoulder, afraid that he'd have a sudden outburst in the middle of the street. He silently asked a curious-looking group of commoners to continue what they were doing and not to form a crowd for it would only make things worse. They slowly dispersed, some dipping their heads as a way to show politeness while the others only smiled sheepishly. If there was anyone that most people in the village respect, it would be him—the one and only Jung Wooyoung.