FIVE

MIKE FELT HIS ANGER RIPEN as Brandy settled next to him on the couch, a sigh of contempt blowing through her lips

MIKE FELT HIS ANGER RIPEN as Brandy settled next to him on the couch, a sigh of contempt blowing through her lips. "Hopper's not answering his phone. Useless piece of shit cop."

"That's, like, the millionth time you've tried," the Wheeler spat through clamped teeth. "We should just take matters into our own hands."

Martha, who favored pacing the hard floor of his basement, shook her head immediately. "That's reckless and you know it. This is much bigger than Eli running away."

"Exactly," Mike huffed, leaning forward to meet the girl's dark eyes glazed with worry. "Which is why we shouldn't be just sitting around, doing nothing!"

"I agree," Eve chirped up, sending a spray of shock shooting down Mike's spine. "With everything we just found out, it's more than likely my brother was taken by Russians. We need to do something."

"Hey, we called your best friend with supernatural powers to come over," Brandy butted in, her tone high with defense. "That's something!"

"But it's not enough!" Mike launched himself off the couch, joining Martha in running scuffled tracks against the worn floorboards. "We should've told her to meet us at Scoops, so we can check in with Dustin and his plan about the Russians."

"I still can't believe it," Martha's voice had honed into a more depressive light, the emotion tearing at her face as she glanced at Brandy. "Your father...secretly the brother of Dr. Brenner."

"Yeah, and the contract," Eve muttered quietly, almost as if the shame of her father's actions burned her own skin. "He was never a real doctor."

"Yeah, instead he was using his office as coverup to make drugs for failed patients of Brenner's," Brandy grumbled sourly. "The same drugs he'd been feeding to our mother. How the hell could we have not figured this out sooner? And the fact that there's Russians involved?"

"Russians who have Eli," Mike reminded them angrily, his expression fired up with panic, rage, anguish, everything that made his heart ache painfully inside him. "You saw what I saw on that contract. The patients are meant to be used as weapons against the Russians."

"And Dustin just discovered there's Russians in Hawkins. In the mall. Where Eli frequents almost every day," Eve continued his anxious thought, and the Wheeler shot her a look of gratitude mingled with relief. At least someone was understanding his raw terror right now. "They had to have found out about Eli and taken him."

"Yeah, but how?" Martha asked with furrowed eyebrows, her gaze lighting up with regret. "Not that I don't believe you guys, but it doesn't make sense."