ELEVEN

THERE WAS AN ALARM THAT HAD BEEN blaring against the drab walls of the lab for several minutes now, and the new problem that had arisen seemed to swallow Eli's completely

THERE WAS AN ALARM THAT HAD BEEN blaring against the drab walls of the lab for several minutes now, and the new problem that had arisen seemed to swallow Eli's completely. Apparently, Dart had not been the only Demogorgon-like creature that ravaged the Upside Down. There were dozens, and they had infiltrated the lab.

It had all been passing by Eli like a massive blur. His feet were pounding against the ground as he ran, but not really. He could feel Mike reaching out and gripping for him, but not really. Everything was just a massive, blurry haze. One that didn't seem to seem to waver until he was outside, Mike holding Will's unconscious body over his shoulder like a sack.

Will had snapped. He had become something not of himself when they tried to move him from his room, and Joyce had to inject him with a sleeping needle. None of it made too much sense to Eli, but he knew that as the night stretched on, Will was losing more and more of himself to the shadow monster.

Bob didn't make it. Eli didn't know him well, nor did he see the way the Demogorgon creatures tore into his flesh. All he needed to hear was Joyce's raw, grieving screams and watch Hopper drag her outside to know he was gone.

It happened too quickly. Too quickly and yet Eli knew it was enough to dance around the skin behind his eyelids every time he closed his eyes. Not to mention he still had these new powers. Powers he couldn't control, even when Bob was in trouble and Mike was looking to him for help. How could he get the blue lightning to shoot from his fingers again? Did he even want it to?

A car horn snapped him from his panicked mind, and he whirled around to find, oddly enough, his loud sister at the wheel. "Eli! Get your ass in here!"

At some point, an entire party of people, including his sisters, Martha, Rene, and a shit ton of other people he didn't catch had all arrived. He was being shoved into Brandy's car before he could cast another look back at the glass doors of the lab, which were being clawed and beaten at by those monsters. He didn't know where Mike was, or Will, and that upset him but he knew they had to be in one of the other vehicles trailing behind Brandy's.

Martha, his sisters, and Rene all sat timidly and awkwardly in the car, until Brandy of course rose to the occasion.

"What a real shit fest, huh? What's been up with you, Eli?"

Demogorgons. Electric powers. Will basically being possessed. His father's mysterious maps. Him still crushing on Mike, but that was on the bottom of the list right now.

"Shit," he answered simply, and the curse word was enough to shock everyone back into silence.

He didn't want to talk right now. He just wanted to watch the night sky float above him, and let his mind drift away to where it wanted to.