𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮 𝙩𝙬𝙤.

─☼☼☼─

"You have eight new messages."

Message received yesterday at 5:44pm:

Hey! You've reached Charlotte. Sorry I can't take your call right now. If you leave me a message, I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Have a great day!

Lottie, it's uh, it's me. I just wanted to call and check in on you. I know things haven't really been great between us this summer, or these past few days really, but I want you to know that I'm always here for you...I've always got you. Just uhjust call me back. I really want to talk to you.

Message received yesterday at 9:07pm:

It's me again. I'm not sure if you got my other message, or maybe your phone is off...I'm not sure. But call me as soon as you get this. I need to know that you're okay. 

Message received yesterday at 11:22pm

Please call me. 

Message received today at 12:54am:

Do you remember when we first started dating? We talked every night on the phone until one of us fell asleep. I never told you this, but even if you feel asleep first, I never hung up. There was something so calming about hearing your breathing on the other end. Fuck. Maybe that's creepy. I guess what I'm trying to say is I miss that. I miss you. 

Message received today at 11:32am

I want to see you...I need to see you. Things are so fucked right now. My dad's a mess without Sarah. I could really use someone to talk to. 

Message received today at 1:09pm

Are you back at school? I'm sure you are. Maybe I can come visit you? I think it would be fun. Wheezie misses you. She's been asking to see you. I think you would be good for her...she needs someone to talk to. Justjust text me or call me...please.

Message received today at 2:00pm

I'm going to get help, Lottie. I'm going to get clean for you. 

Message received today at 4:57pm 

Lottie...my Lottie. I love you. I'm going to do better for you. 

Her phone dimmed as the message played again. Charlotte hated to admit it, but hearing his voice brought her the smallest of comfort. It was as if listening to these voicemails gave her the control to see Rafe in whatever way she wanted. She didn't have to respond, she could just listen. 

For days he had called her, and for days she had ignored him. 

She had ignored everyone. 

Her bedroom had become her escape. While in the safety of her bed, she didn't have to think about the real world. She didn't have to think about the fact that two of her friends were dead. She didn't have to think about the fact that her life had fallen apart. She didn't have to think about the fact that her ex-boyfriend was a murdering sociopath.