eight.

─☼☼☼─

𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙁𝙄𝙂𝙃𝙏 𝙁𝙍𝙊𝙈 the other night still had Charlotte shaken up. Even though Pope and JJ both claimed they were totally okay, the bruises on their faces said otherwise. 

In that moment, Charlotte hated Topper, Kelce and Rafe. In that moment, Charlotte hated all Kooks. 

She still wasn't entirely sure what exactly Pope and JJ had done to experience the wrath of Rafe and his buddies, but she knew whatever it was, it didn't warrant them almost being beaten to death. 

So, for that reason, among others, Charlotte was avoiding the Figure Eight until further notice. No more country club. No more house parties. No more Rafe. 

That meant that she was also avoiding Willa and Kensington, which honestly, she didn't mind doing. Something Rafe said the other night wasn't sitting right with her. And while she knew the right thing ─ the mature thing─ would be to simply ask them if what Rafe said was true, she didn't want to. Part of her was afraid to hear the answer. 

Leaning further against the counter in The Wreck, Charlotte glanced around. It was a rather slow day, something Charlotte was kind of thankful for. 

She had picked up some extra shifts working in her parents' restaurant, knowing that was the best way to keep herself occupied. 

In fact, she kind of liked working. It felt like a way for her to earn her keep. And while her family wasn't necessarily struggling for money, it was always nice to be able to contribute. 

"Char." Her mother said from behind her, and from the impatient tone in her voice it seemed that was not the first time she had tried to get her eldest daughter's attention. 

"What?" Charlotte asked, turning to look at her with a slightly startled expression. 

"Have you spoken to your sister today?" Anna wondered as she rang something through the cash register. 

Charlotte shook her head. "No. I think she's over at Heyward's with the boys."

She tried to hide it, but the small grimace on Anna's face was painfully obvious to Charlotte. 

"They're good kids, mom. Despite some of the shit you might have heard. Just because they're Pogues, doesn't automatically make them bad people."

Anna looked slightly taken aback. "I never said that, Charlotte."

"You might as well have."

"I noticed you've been over there a lot too." Anna said as nonchalantly as possible. It was clear that she was worried they were losing their 'golden child' to the so-called 'dark side.'

Charlotte smirked, knowing that her actions were getting under her mother's skin. "Yeah. Well I figured I've already dated the Prince of Kooks, why not try to hook up with the Prince of Pogues, too."

She wasn't entirely sure who the 'Prince of Pogues' was, but the look on her mother's face made none of that relevant. 

"Smarten up, Charlotte. I'm serious."

The young girl laughed as she fixed her apron. "Mom, relax. I'm just trying to spend some time with Kie this summer. Isn't that what parents are supposed to wish for? Their daughters being best friends?"