fifty seven.

─☼☼☼─

RAFE 

"𝙒𝙃𝘼𝙏 𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙃𝙀𝙇𝙇 did you do, Rafe?" Rose snapped, her wide eyes locked on the unconscious girl that lay in her stepson's bed. 

They had just returned from the basement where Rafe had locked his sister, their focus now on the next problem they had to deal with─Charlotte.

Shushing Rose, Rafe pulled her out of his room, quietly closing the door behind them. "Just a couple of sleeping pills."

Rose shook her head, at a loss for words. "Her head...there was a gash. What happened? Did you do that to her?"

A look of pure offense covered Rafe's face as he shook his head. "Why would you ask me that." He wondered, his voice seeped with hurt. "It was Renfield. He knocked her out."

"Are you serious, Rafe?" Rose chastised again. "She's concussed...and you gave her sleeping pills?"

Rafe glanced back toward the room where Charlotte was, not understanding what Rose was saying. "...Yeah?"

The smack she delivered to his arm reverberated through the empty hallway. "That's the number one rule of concussions─ don't let them sleep for too long!"

Horror struck Rafe's face, his heart plummeting. "I─I didn't know. I─fuck, is she gonna be okay?"

Rose crossed her arms over her chest, shaking her head. "You better hope so." She then glanced down at her watch. "Text her parents, let them know that she's here and needs to be picked up. We don't have time for this."

Rafe paused, looking to his stepmother with furrowed brows. "She's coming with us."

"Rafe─"

"She's coming with us, Rose." He snapped with intensity. "She's family, and we're not fucking leaving her behind."

Rose pursed her lips, having an internal battle with herself. "Do you really think she wants to be torn away from her parents, her sister, her friends?" Rose Cameron had always liked Charlotte Carrera, and she wasn't keen on aiding and abetting in her kidnap. 

"This is what she wants." Rafe assured. "She wants to be with me. So just let me handle it."

Unconvinced, but not willing to argue any further, Rose let out a deep sigh. "Take her with you in the truck. I'll take your sisters with me."

Glancing over her shoulder for a moment, it look as if Rose was ensuring Wheezie was no where in earshot. "Where are those sleeping pills you gave Charlotte?"

A small smile twitched at Rafe's lips as he nodded toward the staircase. "In the kitchen." He answered, "Two will do the trick."

Rose bristled slightly, uncomfortable with the fact that her and Rafe were two sides of the same coin in the current moment. She tried to tell herself that this was for the betterment of everyone, but couldn't help the darkness that creeped in at the prospect of what they were doing to these girls. 

Charlotte and Sarah were having their freewill ripped from them...but it was for the best. At least that's what Rose Cameron told herself as she made her way downstairs, prepared to drug her stepdaughter.

Finally left alone again, Rafe turned back toward his bedroom, quietly opening up the door to check on Charlotte. 

It wasn't like she was going to wake up anytime soon, but he couldn't risk it. 

He knew this is what she would want in the end, it would just take some convincing to get her to that point. This was the easiest way. 

When she woke up she would be safe, she would be with him, and everything would be okay. 

He needed to get her away from those Pogues. They were a parasite, latching onto his Lottie and taking her away from him. They had changed her this summer, turned her into a shell of the girl he had once known. 

Rafe Cameron might have broke Charlotte Carrera all those months ago, but according to him, it was the Pogues who destroyed her. 

Hovering next to his bed, he watched as Charlotte's chest rose and fell gently with each breath she took. She looked so peaceful, so beautiful. 

He reached forward, brushing a stray curl from her face, her skin cool beneath his touch. "It's gonna be okay, Lottie." He whispered, hoping that somehow she could hear his assurances. "We're gonna be okay."

Truthfully, Rafe could have stayed there all day watching Charlotte sleep. He used to do it constantly when they were dating. She'd fall asleep hours before he did, and he'd just watch her, studying every inch of her face, almost as if so he wouldn't forget it if they were ever apart. 

He could still tell you every detail about her face. Where every freckle was, the tiny scar under her left eyebrow, the way she smiled in her sleep, everything. 

Charlotte barely stirred as Rafe scooped her from the bed, securing her in his grasp. Her head rested against his chest, his arms cradled tightly around her. 

His bags were already packed into the car along with the few belongings Charlotte had at Tannyhill. He would buy her whatever else she needed when they reached their destination. He would buy her anything she wanted. 

Taking a final glance around his room, Rafe adjusted Charlotte in his arms before making his way downstairs and out the front door. 

Rose and the girls would sure to be on their way soon, once Sarah was handled, but he didn't have time to worry about that. 

He needed to get rid of Renfield's body, get rid of the gun that Charlotte had held, and then the two of them needed to get to the docks. Time was ticking. 

With Charlotte secured in the front seat next to him, Rafe fired up the truck, his heart in his chest. 

Big things were happening...he just hoped nothing stood in his way. 

─☼☼☼─