"Can you tone it down?" I give her a look.

"Oops," she puts a hand over her mouth. "Sorry. Forgot to check my noise levels again,"

I smile at her. "It's okay. And thanks for talking to me. I feel better now,"

"Anytime. Oh! And I forgot to tell you--" her voice goes down into a deliberate whisper, "if you choose to go all the way with him, use protection,"

My face immediately flames in understanding. "I w-will,"

"Don't get pregnant, hoe. Male omegas can be real naive about that,"   

"T-That's not even possible for me yet, Lylah. I haven't had my heat," I admit, feeling a bit embarrassed.

"What?!" she exclaims like I've just told her the world is ending. Which doesn't feel that great, to be honest.

Maybe I shouldn't have told her. "I-Is that weird?" I ask.

"No, no," she puts her hands out, reassuring me. "It's just like, most omegas our age have had it by now. I got mine when I was 16. Do you know what's slowing down your cycle?"

Now that I have access to the internet, I've looked up reasons for why it would come late. The conclusion I've made is that my body isn't ready, that it's still healing inside. Living with my stepfather, I ate scraps and lived in conditions that made me sick all the time. It basically took all the life out of me. So it's a slow process, trying to recover from that. I just hate that it's taking so long. I want to be normal like everyone else.  

"I dunno. Guess I'm just a late bloomer. I hope it comes soon, though."

"Awe, I'm sure it will. Just don't worry about it for now,"

We get up from the table, throwing out our trash. We walk down the hall to her locker when we spot Jay. He immediately ducks his head, avoiding all eye contact. Lylah looks to me, rolling her eyes as he passes by, completely ignoring us.

"See he's still being an absolute man-child,"

"He's hurt Lylah...I feel so bad," I say guiltily.

"I don't see why! You set a boundary with him! That's better than leading him on," She throws her books inside her locker. I cringe as the pages crumple and rip because of the off-angle she put them in.

"But he hasn't even looked at me since I rejected him," I persist, "And he said he doesn't want to be friends anymore."

"That's his problem! He's acting like the friend zone is the end of the world. He should be grateful that you still see him as someone you value as a friend!"

I stare sadly as he disappears down the hallway. I still can't help but feel like I did something wrong. "I don't want him to hate me,"

Lylah pats me on the back. "He'll come around, cutie. Remember like a few weeks ago when he was completely obsessed with you? It doesn't go away that quickly."

I try to convince myself that she's right, but I just can't tell for sure. I seem to have a knack for driving people I care about out of my life.

*

I spend all afternoon at Lylah's, both of us catching up after our romantic rendevous made us distant the past few weeks. We don't talk about Wren, thankfully. I think she's been in contact with him though, so hopefully, I can find time to go see him soon now that I've 'dealt' with Jay. It kind of feels like I have to do all the work for us to make up. I wish he would make some effort. But from what Lylah has said in the past, he's an expert at avoiding things.