Chapter 4: All Alone

Katniss' POV

"Are you sure you'll be alright if I go to the bakery today? I can stay with you and Willow another day or two," Peeta says as I hand him his jacket. Willow sets on my arm as I cradle her. her head resting on my shoulder.

"Are we really going to go through this again Peeta. We will be absolutely fine. I know it's hard to leave her, but you'll be home with us before you know it," I say.

"But I don't like leaving all the work of taking care of her to you," he says.

"Oh excuses, excuses! You know you'll enjoy not having to take care of messy diapers for a few hours," I say.

"Maybe so, but I will defiantly miss you and Mommy today," he says to Willow as he takes her from my arms. "You're gonna be good for her aren't you Willy-Billy." She gurgles and he kisses her cheek before handing her back to me. We walk to the door together and her opens it. He hugs me and I hug him back to the best of my ability with a baby in my arms.

"I love you," I say to him as he pulls away.

"I love you too, both of you. I'll try to stop back for lunch," he says and then looks down at the half grown wolf that sits at my feet."You take care of our girls Luca. I'm counting on you buddy." Luca barks in agreement and Peeta kisses my cheek and leaves.

I walk back into the house and lay Willow on a blanket on the living room floor. Luca lays beside her and they watch each other with curious eyes. She gives him a toothless smile and he wags his tail. Even though Willow is barely a week old, the two have already bonded greatly. Before she was born, Luca liked to sleep in the bed with Peeta and I, snuggled to my side that wasn't occupied by Peeta. But now that we have her, He sleeps on the floor next to her cradle at the end of the bed. My mother was worried about me leaving her alone with him when she was here, but I trust Luca to not hurt her.

Knowing she's under very watchful eyes, I go to the kitchen and make myself something warm to eat. I turn on the radio and allow it to play softly in the background. It's nice that music is now played for enjoyment. I hear there's some people who make a great deal in the Capital singing. Peeta's suggested I try a couple times but I can't, 12 is my home. I like a lot of the old songs, from long before the dark days. When a soft gentle one, I begin to sing along.

"Barefoot in the bed of your truck,
On a blanket lookin' up
Half a moon peekin' down at us,
From underneath the clouds.
Teenage kids sneakin' put again...
I heard the thunder rollin' in
We were fallin' the moment when,
It all came pourin' down.

The Georgia rain on the Jasper County clay,
Couldn't wash away what I felt for you that day.
Just you an' me down an ol' dirt road...
Nothin' in our way except for the Georgia rain.

The cotton fields remember when,
Flash of lightnin' drove us in...
We were soaked down to the skin,
By the time we climbed inside.
An' I don't know what was poundin' more...
The heart in my chest or the hood of that Ford.
As the sky fell in an' the storm clouds poured,
Worlds away outside.

The Georgia rain on the Jasper County clay,
Couldn't wash away all the love we made.
Just you an' me down an ol' dirt road...
No one saw a thing except for the Georgia rain.

Screen door flappin' in the wind...
Same ol' house I grew up in.
I can't believe I'm back again,
After all these years away.
You fixed your Daddy's house up nice...
I saw it yesterday when I drove by.
Looks like you've made yourself a real good life...
What else can I say?

The Georgia rain on the Jasper County clay
Couldn't wash away the way I loved you to this day.
The old dirt road's paved over now,
Nothin' here's the same except for the Georgia rain

Couldn't wash away the way I loved you to this day. Just you an' me down an ol' dirt road...
Nothin' in our way except for the Georgia rain,"

I look over to see Willow sleeping peacefully next to Luca, her tiny chest rising and falling. I walk over and pick her up gently so I don't wake her up and Luca follows me as I carry her upstairs, careful not to jolt her awake. I lay her in the cradle at the foot of Peeta and my bed. I open a window about half way and I walk out but notice my four legged shadow is no longer following me.

"Luca? Are you coming?" I ask and he just looks at me and then back to my sleeping daughter. "You want to stay with her don't you?" I say and he wags his tail in response while looking back at her. "Okay then, I'll be downstairs." I walk downstairs and hear a knock on the door. I open it to find Peeta.

"Hey, I brought lunch," he says holding up a paper bag.

"That's nice," I say. "I was just getting hungry," I say. He walks in and looks around.

"Where's Willow?" he asks.

"She's upstairs sleeping. She went down not long after you left. Evidentially I'm not interesting enough for her to stay awake for, unlike you," I say as I tear open the paper bag and slice open a still warm bun to make a sandwich.

"She's been sleeping almost 5 hours?! She already doesn't sleep all night, your really gonna let her sleep all day. She won't sleep at all tonight," He says.

"I'll go get her so you can see her before you go back to work," I say getting up and walking upstairs. I pick Willow up and she wails when I wake her up."Shhh, I know sweetie, but if you use up all your sleep now, you won't sleep tonight and that's when Daddy and I sleep. Come on let's go see him before he has to go back to work," I say kissing her cheek and she keeps crying. I just shake my head at the thought of Peeta making me wake her and carry my crying baby down to her father.

-----------------------------------
Crappy Chapter, I know. I'll try to do better next time. I just wanted to get you guys a chapter. The song is Georgia Rain by the ever lovely Ms. Trisha Yearwood. I love that sing. Just wanted to share it with you guys. See ya soon.

-Kayla