Good Tidings (Sanniuri, SDRA2)

Prompt: https://otpprompts.tumblr.com/post/168712729078/imagine-your-otp-where-person-a-opens-a-large/amp

"Imagine your OTP where person A opens a large Christmas present, only to have person B pop out shouting "Merry Christmas, A!!" Bonus if person A responds with "Can I have the receipt?""

This is an art trade for sugarhuneysweet on twitter! Go check him out!

***

As soon as Nikei woke up, he noticed that something was off. He was alone in the bed he shared with his boyfriend, which was unusual since he would have to wiggle out of the wizard's hold on him every morning. To not have to do that in the morning, especially on Christmas Day, was a little concerning.

With a yawn, the journalist sat up in bed and took off his sleep mask, which he bought a long time ago to 'conserve his beauty sleep,' to Mikado's amusement. He was getting a lot more rest now that the holidays were here, since the blonde had convinced him to at least take a break until New Year's. The thought of not writing his articles made him antsy, but Mikado promised that he would keep him distracted.

But Mikado couldn't do that if he wasn't there, so finding the wizard seemed to be the first order of the day. Nikei yawned and kicked his feet over the side of the bed, waiting for his awareness to kick in a little more before getting up. He began walking downstairs in their house, predicting that Mikado would having a cup of black coffee, that heathen.

When he arrived in the kitchen, Mikado wasn't there. There was a pot of coffee already brewed and still steaming, which Nikei assumed was brewed recently, and poured himself a cup. After taking a sip and finding out that it was the instant coffee he preferred, he drank more and began to ponder where the hell his boyfriend was. Workplaces were closed today, so he should still be at home.

Th journalist finished his cup and went to check the living room next. As he thought that maybe Mikado was in the bathroom and maybe he was overreacting, he stepped into the room and saw a huge present right beside the tree. Its box size dwarfed the rest of the presents, and Nikei got curious and stepped closer to open the huge present.

As Nikei lifted the lid a tiny bit, the box suddenly burst open and startled Nikei, causing him to fall back onto his rear. "Surprise!" Mikado exclaimed as he knocked the lid completely off the box. "Merry Christmas, Nikei!"

Nikei first spotted the ribbon shibari wrapped around his body and quickly shielded his eyes, looking away. "Can I have the receipt?" He dryly asked, trying to play off that he got startled by his boyfriend. "Please tell me that you have clothes on."

"Of course I do, I'm still in my nightclothes!" The wizard whined, seeing his lover's eyes still covered. "Do you really have that little faith in me?"

"The last time you covered yourself in ribbons was on White Day, and that did not end well." Nikei replied, slowly removing his hand. Upon seeing that Mikado was indeed wearing his sun-patterned pyjamas, he relaxed and got to his feet. "Come on, moron, get out of the box." He chuckled, extending a hand to help him out.

Mikado knew that he could've gotten out of the box using magic, but since the journalist wasn't upset and was offering assistance, he would dare pass up an adorable opportunity. Taking Nikei's hand and balancing himself, he was helped out of the box. Once he was out, he quickly enveloped the journalist in a huge hug, which the smaller man easily returned.

"So, I take it that you brewed me coffee? Thanks for that." Nikei spoke up as Mikado left the hug to move the giant present box. "Though I was wondering where you went off to when I woke up alone."

"Oh, did I leave you lonely when you woke up?" Mikado's mask turned teary-eyed as he whimpered. "I'm sorry, I just wanted to surprise you..."

"N-No, no! You didn't do anything bad at all, I just-" Nikei stopped himself before he went into another ramble, and he sighed as he sat down on the ground. "Just come open the damn gifts with me."

Mikado's smile instantly came back and he went onto the ground, hugging the journalist in the process. Nikei would never say it aloud, but he thought that Mikado's clinginess was cute and it helped both of their touchstarved selves. Mikado let go of him and they reached for their first presents.

Since Mikado was sensitive to touch after the fire he told Nikei about, the journalist had given him soft things like blankets, sweaters, and gave him a new cookbook as well. Nikei received another hug from the excited blonde. His own presents were a set of new pens, an extra laptop charger, a couple extra notepads, and a black cat plushie with a handsewn beige coat to match Nikei's. He laughed as he looked at the doll and hugged Mikado in a rare display of open affection.

"I believe we're supposed to go over to Ms. Magorobi's house for dinner with the rest of the Children of Utsuro, just letting you know ahead of time." Mikado informed, nuzzling his head into the hug.

"Alright, good to know. But before that, we should head back to bed. Look, the sun isn't even in the sky yet, and I admittedly don't have much caffeine in my system." Nikei remarked, looking out the window. "I'm cold and need some more sleep. Despite popular belief, I'm not this cute naturally!"

"You're always cute, my love, but you're right when you say that we should go back to bed. We can use my blankets too!" The wizard exclaimed, grabbing his blankets with one hand and taking Nikei's hand in his other. "Come on, let us return until the sun's long since risen."

As Mikado chattered enthusiastically, Nikei allowed himself to be led up the stairs with pink on his cheeks. He was too tired to think of a comeback and fluster the wizard in turn, so he just yawned and leg himself be dragged back into a cuddling session with his clingy boyfriend. As far as Christmases go, Nikei quite enjoyed this one.

***

Art credit: yoonsic932828 on twitter