Childhood Sweethearts

Cute, short-lasting.... it'll be over soon

Or at least that's what everyone else thought of us. We were kids, normal ones who climbed trees and swam in lakes. I was 12 when I decided I loved her, that was also when I realized this was the girl I'd marry. Well, that's what little me thought. Everyone waited for us to grow apart and separate, even us. Especially her. Her attachment issues clung to my heart like piercing icicles. Years went by and we were still together, and I loved her just as much as the first time we met when we were kids. She wanted it, I wanted it. We wanted forever to happen, even though chances slimmed as time went by. We knew the consequences of blinded romance. An ever-lasting drive that just seemed like it was meant to be. It was all right till college went around. The strong and beautiful woman I'd sworn to have by my side till the end, had her heart in the clutches of someone else. I resented him. I hated him. I wished it were me, it SHOULD have been me. It wouldn't have been him if I just played my cards better than I had. There she was, she was right in my grasp until I let it slip away. The pretty girl on the swings who seemed to light up my entire world was now standing there with him. When you love someone, you love not only their perfections but their imperfections. I loved it all. I loved her. Such a sweet shame that now the ears that I used to whisper sweet nothings into were listening to another man's vows...