Family Dinner

(TRIGGER WARNING: this one-shot will include family abuse, disfunctional family, emotional abuse, etc. Read at your own risk, and remember, a family that doesn't love and accept you, isn't a real family. Blood isn't everything, I love you <3)

Shaking, I knock on his door.

"Come in!" Is heard from the other side.

I step inside his room and see he's about to start a live.

"Sorry to interrupt," I start, but he doesn't let me finish.

"Love," Aidan tells me, smiling, "you don't need to apologize. You aren't interrupting something, and even if you were, there's no need for apologizing."

I smile softly, fidgeting with my hands.

"Is something wrong?" He asks concerned.

"I-" I take a deep breath. "Would you like to come to have dinner with my family tonight?"

His face lights up. "Of course my love! I would love to. Meeting your parents to make our relationship 100% official."

I smile again. "I'm glad to hear that, but I have to tell you something."

He furrows his brows. "Yes of course, tell me. Here," he stands up and signals me to sit down, "sit down."

"Aren't you about to start your live?" I ask.

"Don't worry about it, you are way more important."

I sit down on his chair and speak.

"My family isn't as good as I make it sound. My parents are divorced and hate each other. My siblings aren't the best either. Leave alone the fact that all of them are judgemental, especially towards me."

Aidan cups my face in his hands. "Babe, no matter how your family is, or how much they hate seeing us together, I would never, ever leave you. And I won't let you be with them alone either, I'll be there for you."

I smile and lean into his touch. "I just don't want you to suck in all of their comments. They can get very offensive."

"I don't care. Besides, do you know how many offensive comments I get almost every day?" He smiles warmly to reassure me.

"Alright, I'll let my family know."

I walk out his room and reply back to my family.

At night

Aidan drives us to my parents' house and sit down to eat dinner after helping around. Nothing bad has happened so far, but I shouldn't say anything too soon.

"So Aidan," my dad starts, "what do you do for a living?"

"I'm an actor sir," Aidan replies with a kind smile. "I have a very successful career."

My dad scoffs and keeps eating.

"Have you proposed to her yet?" My sister asks.

Aidan gives me a quick glance with his cheeks flushed. "Not yet."

"And are you guys planning to get married?" My brother asks.

"Well, I'd love to marry her soon," Aidan tells them, making me blush and almost choke on my drink.

"Can you stop eating while we talk?" My mom says. "You look like a pig, not being able to put down your fork for a second."

My expression falls and I push my dish with half eaten food away from me. "Sorry, I'm done now."

"I'm glad you are," she continues, "you're getting fat. I don't think this young man would want to marry you if you're a fat pig. Besides, I would've loved if I ever met a guy like him when I was your age," she bites her bottom lip.

I can sense Aidan tensing up, clearly uncomfortable with this situation.

"What's that supposed to mean?" My dad asks my mom.

"You know damn right what I mean," she replies.

"I never wanted to marry you either. You forced me to marry you because you got pregnant," my dad slams his fist on the table, making me jump.

Aidan immediately grabs my hand under the table, tightly. I want to shed a tear, but I hold it back. I would hate to hear my mom say I'm weak.

I feel bad for my brother, he was the first born and clearly wasn't planned. My sister and I came because of their marriage later on.

"You were the one that didn't use condoms!" My mom yells.

They scream at each other for a little while until they can calm down again.

"Are you planning kids?" My mom keeps asking.

Aidan lets me talk because he knows it's something up to me, not him.

"I'm still not sure..." I answer.

"It's not all up to you, he can get to decide as well," she answers.

"Ma'am," Aidan interferes. "With all due respect, it's her body. She's the one who will have to carry with our kids. I don't have a word over her body. She's the one who decides, whatever her final word is, I will forever support her."

I'm so grateful for him he has no idea

"Whatever," my mom scoffs.

After that conversation, Aidan decided to leave, sensing my discomfort and not wanting to put me through too much.

When we're in the car, I hug him tightly.

"I love you," I whisper in his ear, starting to cry. "You have no idea how grateful I am to have you."

"I love you too," he whispers back. "Please, don't cry. I will never leave you. I will respect you and help you overcome traumas and fears. You won't ever be alone again."

And just like that, we kiss.