7: Two Dark Knights

Start from the beginning

  "Wh-What is it?" She asked, shocked. In response, you both stepped to a door. Momon opened it with a free hand, both of you looking into the darkness beyond a set of stairs.

  "What's down this way?" Momon questioned.

  "It's the storage room for our herbs." Lizzy answered, tense. You all stepped into the darkness, you, Momon, and Nabe dutifully, and Lizzy afraid. Another door was burst open, confirming what you felt before.

Barely visible in the darkness were four bodies, strewn across the room in various ways. Peter, Lukrut, Dyne and Ninya.

"E-Eeek! What is going on? Huh!?" Lizzy shouted out. At the words, Peter's body began to stir, than Lukrut's. With hollow groans, they pushed themselves up, revealing cold flesh, and dark eyes that did not belong to the adventurers you had traveled with.

"Zombies!" You held out a hand as Lizzy ducked behind Ainz, a white glow emanating from your armored palm.

"Moon's Grace: Rest." Moonlight suddenly flooded the room, light that washed over the zombies of your former companions. Their skin lost it's nearly rotted look, and their bodies fell limp.

Moon's Grace: Rest was lesser Great One magic that dedicated apprentices could learn or ambitious spellcasters could contain. What it did was restore all forms of undead, from zombies to skeletons, to their human shape, leaving only the wounded corpse, no longer able to become undead. It had limitations should you choose them, of course. Only deliberately casting it's strongest form could reduce the undead equipped with proper protection, such as Ainz and Shalltear, to husks. For now, it posed no threat to them.

  "Where's Nphirea!?" Lizzy asked, looking around the briefly lit up room.

  "He isn't here." Momon concluded, sending Lizzy into a shocked panic.

  "Nphirea!" She yelled, running back up the stairs.

  "Dear Nabe, please protect her." You asked.

  "With my life, Lord Y/n." Nabe turned around to follow Lizzy as you knelt at the still-bloody corpse of the Sword's of Darkness's smallest companion.

  "Ninya..." You gently held the chin of the adventurer up, revealing tear-stained cheeks and dark eye sockets. Their clothes had loosened around their chest, showing you bandages wrapped around it.

  'I've heard that girls in a team can cause serious problems.' The superstition flashed through your mind as a pang of sympathy thudded through your body.

  "Y/n..." You look from the poor girl's face up to Ainz, still gently holding her.

  "Momonga..." You paused, at an honest loss for words.

  "I understand how you must feel. You are sympathetic in nature, more benevolent than I could hope to be." Ainz told you, resting an armored hand on your shoulder.

  "...Momonga, how much gold do we have?" You asked. Ainz stopped for a second, turning away.

  "We should not waste a resurrection on a human being. We must save them for true emergencies." He urged you. You nodded, gently grabbing Ninya's body. With reverence, you laid her down, hands over her heart.

  "Their wounds. All four died fighting tooth and nail. They hold my eternal respect, even if we can not beat their hearts to hold my blood..." You repeated the process with the other adventurers, laying them side by side. Despite the sorrow overtaking your mind, something else churned within.

  Displeasure. A thirst for someone's blood.

...

"The damage was done with some kind of piercing weapon..." you reported to Momon through his mind as he searched the bags of the adventures and the surrounding room for clues.