6: A "Wise" King

The sun was significantly less bright this next day, a fair indicator of the mood of the group. Light glances were thrown at Momon and yourself time and time again. Fear, worry, guilt, they all landed the same.

Ninya had tried to apologize to you two earlier that morning, an attempt met with cold silence from your friend and a simple nod from you. Ninya had made an honest mistake, and only wanted to comfort you. That was something they'd have no problem moving past in your eyes.

In order to break the impending silence, Lukrut turned to the group, walking backwards as he did.

"This area has such a great view." He pointed out.

"There's probably no need to walk in formation like this!" He stated, relaxed.

"It's important to be on guard." Peter insisted in response, walking to the left of the horses.

"So true! The greatest enemy is carelessness." Dyne agreed, to the right of the horses.

  "A dragon could suddenly launch an attack on us." Ninya reminded Lukrut. In your years of playing Yggdrasil, you never really had to worry about dragon ambushes. That was another game about dragons, fantasy and magic...

  "Seriously. Do you really think that would happen, Ninya?" Lukrut asked his teammate.

  "Around the area of E-Rantel, there are legends of a dragon that could freely control nature." Ninya stated. After that point was made, they looked to everyone's left, at the distant mountain peak on the horizon.

  "And, to the north of the Azerlisia mountains over there, I've heard that there are quite a few living frost dragons." They informed everyone. So the possibility of dragon ambush was real, but as real as the risk of being struck by lightning.

  Momon, hearing these words, was of course caught on the legends of the nature controlling dragon. He suddenly cleared his throat and cleared his way into the conversation.

  "Ah, do you know the name of the dragon that freely controls nature?" He asked, curious.

  "Huh? Oh, not it's name. I will check when we return to town." Ninya promised the Knight. You could check as well with your delivery of books, but it may take a bit.

  "Yes. Can you do that for me, Mr. Ninya?" Momon requested. Hearing the sincere request from someone who had just donned a foul, tone-setting mood spread a smile across Ninya's face, their eyes suddenly shining with happiness.

  "O-Of course, Mr. Momon!" The whole interaction seemed to spread a positive air through the mortals present in the caravan, before Nphirea spoke up.

  "It's just a bit farther to Carne Village!" He announced. You nodded, allowing this new mood to spur on the adventurers, towards Carne Village.

"Huh? That's strange." Nphirea suddenly spoke up with the confused statement as the group crested one of the final hills in the trek.

"What's wrong?" Peter asked, allowing himself to get back on guard.

"There wasn't such a strong looking fence there before." Nphirea told him, referring to a large, wooden wall that expanded well past the village itself. Sharpened logs made the top of the fence, discouraging climbers, and as you approached, you noticed shapes behind it, scurrying around in response to the approaching group.

As everyone approached the open gate of this wall, a few armed goblins rounded the sides, weapons out.

"Aren't those goblins?" Lukrut asked, drawing his bow. In response, the goblins that appeared hefted their weapons, ranging from short swords to bows.