1, found and lost

APPARITION !!!

chapter one ;   found and lost....

He had never seen a ghost. But like his brother used to say, there is a first time for everything. As all queer things do, it started on an unassuming, ordinary day.

*—*

"Hit me again," Borin roared. Mikael dodged the axe with ease and counter attacked his opponent with the blunt end of his sword. The sound of weapons meeting each other was loud but less noticeable compared to the cheers coming from their audience.

Mikael panted and grinned mischievously. "No, my friend! I do not wish for you to be defeated so soon," he taunted, walking in a circle. Borin bared his teeth.

"We'll see," was his ominous promise. Borin nearly flew from his side towards Mikael with his axe. They parried and dodged each other for it seemed like hours. Mikael jumps to avoid an attack from Borin but he misstepped.

He didn't notice the elevated mud collected over and tripped over it. Borin seeing his advantage brought his axe over Mikael's hand and lo; there's a sword flying in the air with his owner of the ground; axe pressed on his throat.

"I surrender," he croaked, cross eyed at the axe. Claps followed and Mikael took the offered hand with a blank expression.

Borin clapped on his shoulders, his grin wide but teasing. "Look who was defeated," he gloated. Mikael scowled. "What on nine realms is up with you, Mikael? Thoughts on Astrid, already?"

Mikael pressed his lips into a thin line. Astrid is the daughter of his father's closest friend. Many had been telling Mikael and his family about how good she is for him as a future wife.

Mikael despised Astrid with a passion. She was cruel to the smallfolk, and giggled more than he had ever seen a maiden do.

"Fuck off. The gods smiled on you once," he grumbled, shrugging off Borin's hands. He glowered at the amused disbelieving smirk his friend was giving. A cough broke him off the heated staring contest between them.

Mikael gave a shallow bow towards the man who interrupted them. "Alejandro," he greeted. Borin mimicked him, so did the trainees who had been watching Mikael and Borin fight.

Alejandro grinned sharply. He's a stern man with hair as black as coal, with grey hair sprinkled along, quite like the fur of their vicious hunter dogs.

Maybe that's why he is nicknamed 'The Dog of Fellsskogar.' "Do ya know what ya did wrong, boy?" He asked.

Mikael scowled, but still answered, "I didn't pay attention to my surroundings."