1.14 | Hawk Moskowitz

Start from the beginning

"Wait, are you the kid with the lip?" Johnny asked, getting a nod in response. "Nice cut, bro. You see that? Doesn't matter if you're a loser or a nerd or a freak. All that matters is that you become badass," Johnny told the class before looking back at Eli. "Hawk. Fall in," Johnny's new nickname for Eli made the boy smile as he removed his shoes and moved to stand next to Kalon, Miguel on her other side. "Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?" Johnny asked Hawk. "No, Sensei!" Hawk answered with his head high.

"Pain does not exist in this dojo, does it?" Johnny asked Kalon. "No, Sensei!" Kalon responded instantly. "Defeat does not exist in this dojo, does it?" Johnny asked Miguel. "No, Sensei!" Miguel answered back. "Class, are you ready to learn the way of the fist?" Johnny asked them all. "Yes, Sensei!" They all answered in unison as Johnny turned his back to the class, smiling proudly. The class worked hard that day, Hawk stealing glances at Kalon as she worked with other students being more experienced then the rest.

· · ─────── ·✿· ─────── · ·

After everyone changed into Gi's, they all stood in rows ready for the day's lesson. "Bow," Johnny instructed as he bowed, the class following his instruction. "Fighting stances," Johnny ordered the class. "Stabilize your base, Hawk," Johnny instructed as he kicked the boy's leg into place, Kalon turned her head towards them. "Keep your balance, full rotation when you strike," Johnny explained as he demonstrated it. "Yes, Sensei! Hai!" Hawk replied before demonstrating a quick jab.

Johnny turned to continue walking causing the boy beside him to flinch at the movement, "Did you just flinch, virgin?" Kalon rolled her eyes and focused forward. "Holy shit, we got a room full of flinchers," Johnny exclaimed with a laugh. "Yes, Sensei!" The class chanted together minus Miguel, Kalon and Aisha. "That was not a question!" Johnny scolded them. "Raise your hand if you've never been punched in the face," Johnny instructed.

Everyone raised their hands minus Miguel, Kalon and Aisha. "Put your hands down," Johnny ordered with a sigh. "All your lives, you've been avoiding fights so you don't break your nose or lose a tooth. This concussion nonsense. So there's only one solution, and that is before you leave this dojo, each and every one of you is going to take a punch, very hard, to the face," Johnny explained leaving no room for argument.

"Mini Lawrence, Miss Robinson. Line them up, Unflinch this group," Johnny ordered. Aisha and Kalon nodded at each other before stepping beside one another allowing the class to choose a line, Miguel had to even out the lines due to them all choosing Kalon in hopes the blonde would be kind. Kalon stood in a fighting stance, jabbing punches into one face after another until finally, Hawk stepped up in front of her with a smirk.

"Eli..." Kalon spoke softly but he cringed at the name. "It's Hawk, baby. Now punch me," Hawk responded, Kalon ignored the flutter in her stomach at the pet name and closed her eyes. Once she opened them, she threw a punch into his face sending him to the ground holding his nose. "Wow... Nice hit," Aisha complimented while Kalon bit her cheek and held her hand out for Hawk. He slipped his hand in hers and she pulled him away from everyone, the remaining students joining Aisha's line.

"What is this?" Kalon asked Hawk, she wasn't sure what to think of it. "What do you mean?" Hawk asked her with furrowed brows, he thought the confidence would impress her. "Okay, uh... Why did you do this? Was it for my father or for you?" Kalon asked the boy in front of her, their hands still interlocked. "For me. I couldn't stand on the sidelines anymore, Kali. I'm tired of being pushed around, I'm taking control of my life... For me," Hawk expressed to her.

Kalon let out a slow breath as she looked down at their hands, the boy anxiously watched in silence for any reaction from the girl. He was hoping, hell praying, that she'd like this side of him because it felt right to him. "I like this new confidence though," Kalon said as she looked up at him with a small smile. "Yeah?" Hawk asked her. "Oh yeah. The hair will take some getting used to and if you think for a second that I'll be calling you Hawk all the time, you're dead wrong," Kalon warned him.

"Kali..." Hawk whined but the blonde simply smiled before kissing his cheek. "Live with it, Eli. That's just how it is," Kalon whispered in his ear before walking back over to the class. Hawk turned to look at her, a smirk resting on his face as he watched her help Aisha unflinch the students. He felt his confidence build further at the knowledge that Kalon liked this new version of him, he was ready for the next step in his life... But Kalon was not.

· · ─────── ·✿· ─────── · ·

"What's up with you and Eli?" Miguel asked Kalon as the two laid back on his bed, both were tired from the day of school followed by the tiring session of Karate. "You mean Hawk?" Kalon corrected with an unsure expression. "Not a fan?" Miguel questioned with a worried look. "It's not that. It's..." Kalon sat up and hugged the pillow to her chest, "I'm worried about who he'll become, you know? Like this new confidence could turn the wrong way and he won't be the sweet boy I know anymore." Miguel sat up and rested his arm around her shoulders pulling his best friend closer.

"I'm sure that you'll help him if he falls of balance or we'll just kick his ass until he submits," Miguel replied making Kalon laugh and shake her head at him. "Okay, that won't happen. I guess we'll have to wait and see," Kalon stated as she grabbed the chocolate bar and unwrapped it. "What about you and Demetri?" Miguel asked after a moment of silence, he had noticed how Eli and Demetri looked at Kalon and he was worried she'd end up trapped between a fued, he wouldn't let her get hurt. "We're friends. Good friends and he always knows what to say when you aren't around for advice," Kalon answered fondly.

"But is there something more?" Miguel pushed making Kalon furrow her brows and turn to him with a confused smile. "Friends, Miggy. We've only really known each other for around a month now... it's early to even consider--" Kalon answered before getting cut off by Miguel, "Alright, alright. Forget I asked." Kalon rolled her eyes before tackling Miguel to the floor, the two fought to win the mini battle as Carmen opened the door and smiled fondly at the two. "Don't break anything, you two. Dinners ready," Carmen informed the two, Kalon winning the fight with a cheer. "Yay! Mama Carmen's cooking!!" Kalon shouted before pushing Miguel and rushing out of his room.

· · ─────── ·✿· ─────── · ·

Rosemary Speaks

Hawk is here...

Not me realising how messed up I am for crushing heavily on Eli/Hawk... Oh well!

See you in the next chapter!