The Awakening

After a day of having been modified by the transformation, her eyelids flutter open like butterflies. I prepare for the worst to take place. If she was easy-going throughout her human phase, she will calmly listen to me and will make efforts on adjusting to her new life. She will flee first, upset at what I’ve done to her if she was an emotional person before. Nevertheless, she’ll return to my apartment because she’ll see that there’s nowhere else to go. The Offsprings want to capture her for sure. Or I will be killed immediately when she lays her hands on me. She may be one of those people who prefer death rather than becoming a monster.

Yeah even I wouldn’t want to be turned into a vampire by a stranger–like I was before. That can be considered as sawing off a patient’s foot without his opinion even though his or her health is in risk.

It was strange when I caught sight of her at the park. Like any other vampire, I would have drained her too. It was also the first time I spotted a human because I mostly stayed at home. Somehow my body felt like being controlled by somebody else. That’s how I felt the sudden pity, hold the urge to change her and managed not to let my desire take control. I also didn’t even place a finger on her during the metamorphosis. How weird.

The once-human girl’s face looks blank: she’s adjusting her super vision to her surroundings. Half a second passed and her white-flecked brown crystal eyes are alert. They dart at me.

Before I can figure out what she’s thinking, she stands up and lands on top of me. She has a svelte figure but her weight seems like it has doubled up. I groan. So she matches to the third category of my presumed list. Why did I “kiss” her in the beginning?!

“What AM I now?!”She snarls her fangs close to my flesh.

“You’re…a…vampire…” I mutter as I attempt to lift her from me.

I succeed and I push her to the wall. Her crashing leaves small cracks on the wall.

“Lies. LIES!!!” My fanatic “creation” has her hand around my neck quickly. I have trouble breathing.

“Hey…” I choke out. “If…you kill…me…then who’s…going to…help…you finding your…humanity back!”

She freezes as if something struck her mind. And magically she frees my neck. I exhale heavily.

I bolt to the kitchen and hurriedly fling open the fridge and take out a can. I carefully put it in her hand.

“What’s this?” She demands angrily.

“It’s artificial blood.” I reply to her, relaxed. “You’ll feel a lot better after you drink this. Your mood swings are happening due to your thirst.”

She glances at me, not assured. I convince her that she’ll taste like it’s not the real deal because science can’t fully replicate nature-created flavors. She rolls her eyes in return and her thumb presses the covered can’s opening. A “pang” sound echoes throughout the room, followed by a chemical, non-satisfying scent belonging to the red fluid.

During the first second, the gal only takes sips. Later on, she starts to gulp down heavily–she needed it a lot. When I finish counting to ten, she’s finished too.

Her skin tone isn’t unhealthily pale anymore–it has a very faint peach glow. Her eyes are less menacing and the fangs are nowhere in sight. She has this fragile porcelain doll resemblance.

“Feeling better?” I say curiously.

“I’m better than before,” she tells me. “Still I think I’m not that filled up.”

I nod and I fetch nine more–she lost a lot of blood. I give them to her and she gleefully accepts them. In two minutes, she polishes the cans clean.