[XXII]_a_living_ghost_[22]

Start from the beginning

"What about my friends?"

"What about them?"

"Can you bring them back?"

"As long as I have a droid or some kind of vessel, reversing the Soulkilling process is possible." He held up a green usb drive. "Souls are merely data, data is stored in ones' brain or hard drive replacing a brain." I nodded. "Doesn't means it's easy. The soul could become corrupted in the coding and your mates could expire. The technique is still very much in dev-" Three thunderous knocks echoed on the door.  "That's the boss man," he whispered. "You need to escape." The doc handed me the small usb stick and rushed me to a nearby window. "May your survival be worth it. Take care, V." I climbed out of the window and sprinted down the dimly lit alleyway as three gunshots sounded off from the office.

Was my life worth this....? How many will die because of me?
____________

3 years later....

Staring down at the streets below me, I take another puff of a cigarette, dabbing the ashes. Three years, three fucking awful years without my found family. Three years since I costed them their young lives and three years I've been plotting for revenge. Cracking my neck, I took another drag before flicking the cigarette to the concrete some 15 stories below. My phone buzzed as I recieved a gig from my fixer, Dino. He has the vibe of a stoner uncle but he is very professional with the gigs and taking care of his mercs.

D Boss

Gig on 5th and Central. Male, Caucasian, in mid to late 40s wearing a black suede suit with a blue tie will walkdown an alley way around 4:40 pm, on his way to make a deal with Saka agents. Flatline target and steal his briefcase. Bring wears to 41st and Bravo before sundown. You in?

Me
In.

D Boss
Good choice. Meet me at the Afterlife when you're done.
_____________

Aiming the sniper rifle from atops an abbandoned cloth factory, 4:35 pm illuminated on my watch as I grew impatient waiting for the attack. Sundown was in a mere few hours and I couldn't disappoint Dino again with a failed gig. And financially, I can't afford another fuck up. I shook my head and looked through the scope once more. A man in a black suit holding a briefcase walked down the alleyway. "Rest in pieces." I smirked as I fired off the rifle. A single bullet pierced his skull and he fell crashing to the cement. Climbing down the building, I casually walked towards his corpse and grabbed the briefcase. It felt heavier than I expected but who am I to ask questions that'll get me flatlined. Hauling a taxi, I met a woman in her mid twenties with grey eyes and deep scars across her face. She wore casual street attire and looked impressed at me as I exited the cab.

"I suppose your the one called 'V'?" She spoke in a mature and calm tone.

"Yes ma'am. I understand that I must surrendure this to you?" She nodded.

"Dino did say you were quite professional. Well done." She sent me a payment of 10,000 eddies as I handed over the luggage. "Maybe we'll meet again. Take care, kid." We parted ways and I sighed with a bit of relief. Ten thousand eddies would hold me over for the next few weeks but I knew I needed to find more income if I wanted to survive and thrive in Night City. At least this month's rent could be paid.
______
"V! Glad to see you in one piece, kid." Dino greeted me as I sat besides him at the bar. "2 long islands please." The bartender nodded. "Siren spoke praises of you. Seems you've impressed her."

"Just doing a gig, 'tis all."

"You don't give yourself enough credit. Mercwork is challenging and any success shouldn't be taken lightly." I shrugged my shoulders.