But in the End It's Right

Start from the beginning

"Colleen and I will be here quite a bit, to help," Sirius added. "I'll make sure Kingsley knows I'm no good chained to a desk. I can take the children out with me into the Muggle world — make sure they get a well-rounded education. We'll be perfect dads, you and I. I'm sure Colleen will enjoy getting back to an office occasionally, and of course Rhiannon's a brilliant professor. It will be fantastic." He stood and dared to give Severus a quick kiss on the cheek before glancing at his pocket watch. "Ahh— nine minutes 'til. I'm going to go watch for Harry and Ginny. Remember— be nice."

Severus gave a small grunt but nodded.

"Harry!" Severus heard Sirius exclaim, his tone positively elated. "Ginny, you look radiant, darling."

Severus had entered through the back door promptly at noon, making sure he couldn't be seen from the entry hall just yet. He still needed to prepare mentally for this onslaught. Black really ought to be grateful he was even entertaining the absurd notion of an interaction with Potter. He'd seen the boy briefly at the funerals for Fred Weasley, Lupin, and Tonks, but the somber occasions had allowed Severus to maintain his usual silence and black attire without any further expectations. Today was clearly a different story.

"Professor Aspenfell-Snape," the young Gryffindors greeted Severus's wife, respectfully but awkwardly.

"Call me Rhiannon when you're here," Severus heard his wife insist. "We're all family."

Severus could imagine Sirius bristling at that last statement. Sirius was probably the most enthusiastic proponent of their foursome after Rhiannon these days, but he had made it clear he wanted to tell Potter carefully and in his own time. Severus wasn't sure the boy ever needed to know the extent of it. Some things were better left private.

"You had a baby!" Potter's girlfriend cooed.

"Um, not exactly," Rhiannon corrected. "This is Delphi, my sister."

This was met with a pensive silence, from what Severus could gather from his limited vantage point. Sometimes the reminder of Rhiannon's parentage was jolting even to him, and the knowledge that the Dark Lord had another progeny in the world was potentially unsettling.

"Severus, would you mind pouring the wine?"

Colleen entered the dining room with a tray of soup bowls for their starter course— a bright green pea, mint, and spring onion purée with parmesan toasts. Severus knew she had a roasted leg of lamb with vegetables in the oven and had prepared chocolate tarts for dessert. She looked resplendent in a free-flowing dress of Asian florals, its shades of lavender and violet bringing out the golden highlights in her elegantly curled hair. Her lips were stained a dark aubergine, and her cheeks and eyes were painted flawlessly like a porcelain doll. She'd completely devoted herself to making her appearance, their home, and the meal as perfect as she could. Her eyes flitted back and forth along the table critically, a nervous sigh escaping her mouth.

"It's all right, Colleen, he's just a boy," Severus reminded her quickly, pouring the wine as requested.

"I know," she admitted. "But it means so much to Sirius."

"As do you, and nothing will change that. Just breathe and enjoy the day, yes?" Since his encounter with death, Severus found himself a bit more Rhiannon-like in his sage advice. It would be nice if he could follow such wisdom himself.

Beedle skipped in ahead of the others, his excited bark announcing their arrival. Sirius looked effortlessly handsome in a crisp white shirt, Rhiannon soft and bright like spring itself in baby pink silk. Severus noticed immediately that he was by far the most casual in the group, comparable only to the two teenagers and Ben, who all sported blue jeans. He was certain this was his wife's intent, in her quest for him to achieve "approachability." Severus resisted the urge to scowl.