Chapter 22: The Empire's Playground

After Hunter's capture, the squad returned to Ord Mantel to come up with a plan or at least fix the ship. Orla felt the tension in every bone in her body, like standing amongst the Jedi council while they silently discussed a matter.

"This is taking too long," Omega grunted in frustration.

"Omega focus," said Echo, getting stressed wasn't going to help Hunter. He had to remind himself the same thing, it was he who had insisted on going after the clone. Had he been too emotional, was he not thinking with logic and strategy?

Everyone blamed themselves in some way. Wrecker believed if he had taken out the ships faster they would have made it to them in time, Tech thought if he hadn't swerved Hunter could have landed safely, Omega still wanted to go back and Orla blamed herself for letting Hunter go before her.

"I can't, we have to get back to Daro and rescue Hunter."

"My ad'ika," Orla knelt to her level, "Omega we have to fix the ship or we can't rescue anyone, get Echo the spanner."

Omega didn't argue and worked quickly, with two turns the hull was fixed.

"That should do it," Echo whipped a sweat which was most likely not from the work he had completed.

"Nearly finished getting the systems online," Tech updated.

"I left Gregor with Zelda, she seemed happy about it but I didn't tell her the reason," Wrecker arrived.

"Good, I don't want her worrying," Orla responded, helping Tech patch up the last panel and the ship switched on.

"We're up and running," Tech appeared from under the panel.

"Let's go get Hunter," Omega was already holding the wheel when a console beeped and alerted Tech.

"His communication device has just been activated, he is no longer on Daro," Tech informed.

"Where is he?" Omega asked.

"Wait," Orla stopped in their tracks before they got any bright ideas,

"The Empire wants you to go to Kamino, they want you all captured, not just Hunter."

"Why?" for once Tech couldn't even bring himself to think of an answer or he didn't want to.

"The same reason the Empire hasn't phased out Crosshair, you're not regs you can do things that recruits can't even do. Either they want you to join their cause or they want your DNA for new generations of clones."

"Well, what do we do," Wrecker asked in distress."

"Well, it's a trap but not a very good one, I've never been to Kamino. I don't know the facility or the planet. You'll need to find a way to sneak in."

"I think I know a place we can land," Omega answered who was the most experienced with the map of Kamino, "there's a landing pad we can use in Tipoca city," Omega was confident and Orla trusted her judgment.

"Let's go then."

☆☆☆

The Marauder exited hyperspace over the water planet. Echo spotted the three cruisers, questioning the location of the rest of the fleet.

"Who cares, it's a good thing," Wrecker brushed it off but Orla had a sinking feeling it wasn't this simple.

"No... it's something else. They're planning something," breathing in, Orla could feel the planet's energy, it was telling her something.

"Planning for us?" asked Wrecker.

"I don't know, but fly low." The ship glided through the storm and dove to Omega's coordinates. But there was no platform. Tech was doubtful but Omega assured to wait and get lower.