➵ thirty nine

"IT'S THOSE FUCKING EGGS, GOD I'M GOING TO DIE."

"I'M NERVOUS."

Luther Hargreeves. November 12, 1963.

"AND THEN I HELD THAT DUDE IN PLACE WHILE YOUR MOM TOOK SHOTS AT HIM," Luther told Angelica as the two sat in the park, eating ice cream on a bench.

Angelica giggled, "And that's where Miles saw her?"

Luther nodded his head, "I guess he fell in love when he saw her beat the shit out of that man."

Angelica threw her head back, laughing, "Some guys like it violent I guess."

Luther suddenly remembered something she had told them on their way to the park and frowned. "Wait," he started, bringing his bubblegum ice cream down from his mouth, "So my brother was being an asshole and didn't go with you? What the hell is wrong with him?"

Angelica sighed and shrugged her shoulders, "A lot of things. And when is he not being an asshole?"

Luther pursed his lips, "Yeah but with you? He loves you as if you were his own kid. You're literally his kid."

"Well, he must be taking after your guys' dad with his amazing parenting skills," she paused, realizing what she muttered out. She glanced at Luther, "I'm sorry."

Luther chuckled, "No, you're right. But because of that man, Diego grew up with issues. Well, we all did. I know Diego acts like this tough guy that doesn't need anybody, and as much as he denies it, he just wished he received love from our father but instead got Sir Reginald instead."

Angelica frowned, "That man is just strictly business, huh?"

Luther nodded.

Angelica sighed, "Anyway, I'm still a bit annoyed with him but I can't blame his behaviour. The environment he was brought up in, all of you were brought up in, created a void in him that he wants to desperately fill, but he's so lost that he's unable to heal."

Luther blinked, "Wow, you are even more mature than the rest of us combined. You sound like Five, a wise man in a kid's body."

"I sound like a wise man?" Angelica raised an eyebrow.

"Uh, a wise person I mean." Luther corrected, "Just an overly intelligent person in a child's body."

Angelica snorted, "Well I'm just smart and still a child. Five is the one that is actually a senior trapped in a kid's body."

Luther laughed just as footsteps sounded from behind them. "Found you guys."

They glanced back to see Diego, dressed in an orange shirt. Diego blinked at the sight of Luther.

"Your whole mouth is stained blue."

Luther looked at Angelica who was busy grinning. "And you didn't say anything?!"

Angelica shrugged her shoulders, "Telling you wouldn't do much, it'll be stained for a while until it's gone."

Diego cleared his throat and looked at Angelica, "Can I talk to you, kiddo?"