A Light That Never Dies

Dark, solemn clouds cloaked the skies over the Island of Sodor. The island just hasn't felt right in the last few weeks, especially to the engines. Every engine was quiet, all with sadness marking their faces. At times they would smile, but others can easily spot the sadness behind each smile. They've done their jobs without any problems lately, but people can tell that their hearts are troubled.

They know why the engines are like this, the news spread quickly when the report of that terrible incident was released. They didn't say the victim's name, especially around Henry and Edward.

Sodor's number 2 and 3 engines had shown the worst reaction on that tragic day, mostly Henry. They knew how much he was attached to the cat-girl and knew he had taken it harder. Henry was the first engine to befriend her, later on adopting her with his sapphire lover, Edward. The two protected her with everything they had and yet, this tragic event still happened.

No one wanted the engines to suffer, but Fate is a cruel mistress, and unpredictable, untamable- unstoppable.

Seeing all of the engines in such a depressed state felt foreign to the humans of the island. They were used to Henry's worrying, Gordon's boastfulness, James's boasting, Edward's wisdom, everything that made the engines unique... but those traits seemed to just disappear.

There was no telling if they'd ever be the same again...

....

Henry sighed as he slowly puffed through his forest, his eyes glued to the tracks. The chuffing from his pistons seemed to be the only sound within the green forest.

Henry rested on the tracks, ignoring the train he was pulling, and looked at the woods. It was almost two months ago that he first met Aurora in this exact spot. A slight smile appeared on his face as he remembered their first encounter. Watching how she tumbled out of the woods, only to crash into his wheels. The look of fear that covered her face, trying to hide behind the anger she forced herself to look like. The slight trust he built with her that day felt like a high accomplishment. Letting out a weak wheesh of steam, Henry sighed softly before slowly puffing down the tracks.

Each delivery, each coach that the engines have pulled seemed dull and boring now. They were used to Aurora talking to them, learning different things about life, and watching how the walls she built around herself slowly crumble away. They wanted Sodor to be the place she called home, a place where she no longer had to fear for her life. And yet, it was all taken away from her.

....

After puffing down the tracks, Henry slowly backed his train onto a siding in the goods yard at Knapford. The other engines around blew their whistles in greeting, but few words were spoken.

"...Sam, Dave, can we go see Aurora?" Henry asked softly, his eyes never leaving the tracks before looking back at his cab.

"Of course, we can." Sam said softly, gently patting his cab door. "Our next job isn't for another hour."

Henry blew his whistle as he silently puffed down the tracks, his gaze kept on the tracks. A drop of rain splashed on his cheeks, causing Henry to look up at the dark sky. Soon, another raindrop splattered on his running plate followed by another before a steady shower started to fall onto the island. Henry closed his eyes as he felt the cold water slowly run down his face.

Years ago, he would've hidden, afraid of his green paint with red stripes being ruined by the rain but now, he heatedly welcomes it. Opening his eyes again, he stared at the gray clouds before looking back at the tracks. Aurora's words echoed within his mind as he felt his boiler ache, yearning to hear her voice again. Looking at the trees that blurred past him, he let his mind wander a few weeks ago, before that goddamned circus even came to Sodor.