Chapter 12: Needing

Hermione slipped in a semi-depression. It wasn't bad enough to ignore her daughter or smile, but it was bad enough to stay in her bedroom a lot. Arabella was getting worried for her mother. She felt as if Torry was always around and taking care of her. As much as she loved Torry, she wanted and loved and needed Mummy more. Hermione had decided that Arabella was getting a little bit too big for her crib, so to keep her mind off of Harry, she took Arabella toddler bed shopping. They settled on a white bed with pink sheets that contrasted well with her walls. Arabella loved her new bed. It was easy to get out of and she didn't feel trapped anymore.

Three Auror guards were posted out front of the Manor and two in the back. Hermione felt safe with that many. They would take shifts and would leave for the night, but would spend the night at Remus and Tonks' house across the street since they were gone to help Harry.

Occasionally, Hermione would take Arabella to visit her parents. She needed a little tender, love, and care.

One night, Arabella was lying in her bed awake, an hour after Hermione had tucked her in. She couldn't sleep. She was too worried about her Daddy. She wanted her Mummy. She wanted to be held. She slipped out of her new bed, grabbing Peter, her stuffed bunny rabbit that she named after "Peter Cottontail" by Beatrix Potter. She tip-toed out of her room and to her mother's. She reached up and slowly opened the door, letting light into the room. She searched for her mother's figure in the dark and saw her back as she was not faced her, but to the other side. She shut the door quietly, and waited for her eyes to adjust in the dark. When they did, she went to the king-sized bed and hoisted herself up, almost struggling. When she crawled up, she pulled the covers and got under them.

She scooted over towards Hermione. The covers were around her waist; and despite the summer weather, Arabella could see that she was shivering. She pulled the covers and sheets around her mother and kissed her cheek. "Good night, Mummy. I love you," she whispered and laid back down on the bed.

Hermione, who had stirred at someone kissing her cheek, rolled over to see who it was. She squinted in the darkness and saw her daughter. "Arabella?" The eighteen-month-old opened her eyes and smiled slightly.

"I'm sowwy, Mummy, I didn't mean to wake you," she said cutely.

Hermione smiled and ran her hand through Arabella's brown locks, like she always did. The little girl closed her eyes at her mother's soft touch, like she always did. "You're so sweet. Did you know that?"

She giggled a little. Hermione kissed her forehead. "What's wrong, baby girl?"

"I couldn't sweep."

"Why?"

Arabella looked sad. "D-Daddy. I miss Daddy."

Hermione closed her eyes in pain. "I miss him, too. You want to sleep in here tonight?" she asked already knowing the answer.

Arabella nodded. "I'm scared," she shuddered.

"Shh, shh, shh, it's okay. It's alright. I'm here. Come here. Mummy's not going to let you go," she pulled her into her arms and held her. Arabella buried her face and snuggled into her side. Hermione began to sing her lullaby, getting her to close her eyes and nod off. Once she heard her daughter's even breathing, she eventually fell asleep.

*****

The next morning, Arabella woke up to someone smoothing her hair out and feeling a finger on her forehead. She woke up and saw her mother's smiling face looking at her. "G'morning, Arabella." She received a kiss on her forehead.