No. Stop all of those thoughts right now. I told myself.

"Yeah, I'm free but I have to run back to my dorm really quick to grab my bag. Where do you want to meet?" I asked.

"Does Classics and Coffee work?" Travis said, talking about one of the new coffee shops that was also a mini bookstore.

I nodded. "Let's meet there in 30."

"See you then, Katie Kat." He said, grin still stuck on his face.

"Don't call me that." I said, as I turned away from him and headed towards my dorm.

————————————————

I searched through the coffee shop, trying to find Travis's lanky frame. I movement in the corner of my eye caught my attention, and I turned to see Travis waving his arm in the air.

"Katie! Over here!" He shouted, causing literally everyone to look at him and then me. His grin only seemed to grow as I hurried to his table, my cheeks red and eyes downcast.

"You didn't have to shout at me." I hissed as I sat down in my chair across from him, careful not to spill my tea.

Travis had grabbed a table in the corner, surrounded by walls filled with books. The whole store was like this, and the smell of coffee that usually gave me a headache just made me love this place more.

"I know." He said, smirking at me. I scowled at him before pulling out my computer.

"Okay, I think we should start with the short story and then move to the analytical essay." I said, looking up at him. I wanted to finish this quickly so I could get home and start on my other homework. He looked at me with amusement, and I had to fight down another smile.

Our assignment in class was to pick a song of ours and write a short story based on it. After that, we had to write an analytical essay about the song, going into its meanings, symbols, etc. This was an assignment I actually enjoyed, and I was proud of my work.

I felt my anxiety start to creep in as I imagined Travis hating my work. Or worse, making fun of it. I shoved those feelings aside. I did not care about his opinion of me. At all. Like at all. It didn't matter. His opinion of me does not matter.

"Sounds good to me." Travis said, bringing me out of my frustrating thoughts. "What song did you pick?" He asked me.

"Mirrorball by Taylor Swift. What about you?" I replied, taking another sip of my tea. He had a chocolate chip cookie as well as a hot chocolate, which I found very adorable.

No I don't. I take it back. I was feeling very neutral about the hot chocolate and cookie.

"Oh cool! I did Coney Island." He said, eyes lighting up. I smiled at him.

"So I guess our stories are not going to be too different, huh?" I asked him.

"Well you don't know that, Katie Kat. Maybe I added more aliens and time machines and lost dogs." He said the last part with a grin that didn't quite reach his eyes, and a not so sarcastic self deprecation.

I could feel my eyebrows push together as I registered what he said. I knew everyone joked about the wildness of his stories, but did he actually care about that stuff?

"All of your stories are really good, even without a time machine or alien." I decided on saying, looking back at my computer as my cheeks reddened.

"You think so?" He asked, a level of insecurity in his voice I hadn't heard before.

I nodded. "I like them, gives me a break from everyone else's depressing, literary fiction stories." I said, a grin working its way onto my face, and then his.

For a moment, it felt like we were frozen in time. Me staring into his impossibly blue eyes, and him looking back into mine. The sounds of the coffee machines, people talking, and bell above the door ringing quieted for a second as I looked at him.

I cleared my throat and looked away, forcing myself out of the trance I had been stuck in.

"Um, anyway, I can email my story with you and then you can do the same. If that works." I added, cheeks burning.

Travis smirked at me, before saying, "Sure, Let's do that."

We worked for the next hour and half together, critiquing and complimenting each other's stories. Travis's was amazing, and one of the best stories I had read in that class before.

The sun was setting just as we walked out of the store. An early autumn breeze pushed against me, causing me to cross my arms and huddle into my jacket.

"Same time tomorrow?" Travis asked, looking over at me with his, now familiar, grin.

I smiled at him. "Same time tomorrow." I confirmed.

Even after our project was done, we continued going to that coffee shop. It also happened to be the location of our first, official, date.

authors note:
lets see how many times i can use taylor swift in my one shots!! it's going to be a lot!! anyway thanks for reading and

PLEEEEEAAASSEEE VOTE‼️‼️‼️‼️

*not edited*