1

(Please note that in this story, George is 25 and dream is 22. Thanks!)

It was a fine summer day. George was outside in his parent's backyard, working. He raised his hand and wiped away a bead of sweat off his forehead.

Who knew gardening could be so hard?

"George! Oh come here, will you?" George lifted his head and turned. His mother stood in the doorway, smiling pleasantly. George didnt smile back.

His mother was nice, sure, but she had a dark edge to her voice.

"Sure, coming." George got to his feet. He hesitated for a moment, looking down at his work. It was barely anything. He sighed. With enough practice, maybe he would be able to grow vegetables to take to this years fair.

"George, what are you doing?" He heard light footsteps approach him from behind. His mother peeked over his shoulder at the soil. She made a face.

"What's this?" She asked.

"Oh nothing. Just trying to grow some stuff." Her son answered.

"Oh," she said. "Thats.. nice. But why dont you do something else? Like lifting?"

George laughed, then stopped as he realized she was serious. He opened his mouth to say something, but closed it without a sound. He knew better than to argue with her.

"Anyway, come inside. Your sister brought back news." His mother brushed off her dress and headed inside again. George looked down at his garden, sighed once more, and followed her to the house.

There, he saw his sister sitting at the table with an excited look on her face.

"H-" George started to greet her, but was cut off by her rush of words.

"Theres a new boy!" She blurted.

"What?" George laughed awkwardly. He raised a single brow.

"Next door. A new boy moved in." She looked up thoughtfully. "Hes around your age, george."

George didnt say anything. He could practically feel the waves of annoyance radiating off his mother.

He didnt understand why though. Did she not like this new boy? He knew that she didnt approve of gay relationships but why would that matter? George wasn't gay.

"And guess what? I think he mentioned something about meeting you." His sister continued.

"That's enough." Their mother interrupted. She gave the sister a stern look, then turned a loving look onto her son. "If you want to go meet that boy, you can. But be careful, george, I wouldnt trust that family if I were you."

"Yes, mother." George said plainly. Honestly, he wasnt that interested in meeting that new boy.

Once they were away, George's sister pulled him aside.

"Listen, I know you dont care about that boy.. but you need friends!" She whispered loudly.

"Why? I'm fine as I am." George protested.

"Are you kidding me? All you do is hang out in your room and play Minecraft.. alone!"

"What's wrong with that?"

"Uh- the alone part!"

His sister looked at him expectantly. George sighed.

"Fine," he said. "I'll go meet him.. ALONE." He added that last word with a playful smile at his sister. She giggled.

"Alright, just promise me you won't totally fall in love with him. Hes kinda cute." She said mischievously.

"What? Ew! I'm not gay!" George shuddered.

His sister laughed. "Sure. Alright, go meet your new friend!"