Chapter 1

Moving
Maddie's POV

I was putting some boxes in the back of the car when my dad walked out of the house "listen Maddie I know you don't really want to move but it will be good for you, besides we're going on a long business trip anyway". "Believe me dad, I do want to move" I want to get away from my stepmother who always bugs me about literally everything, so moving in with my uncle doesn't seem so bad. The only thing is, I haven't seen him in a very long while.

I finish putting the boxes in the car and my dad gets into the drivers seat while I get into the passenger seat and we drive off. "You know my brother can be kind of rude to people sometimes, but he usually means well so don't get too angry at him if he does. He also will still be at work when we arrive because he usually works late so here is the key". My dad took a key out of his pocket and handed it to me "what about the friend he lives with, do you know him?" "No not really, I've never met him but I do know that he also works at the hospital so he probably will work late as well". The rest of the car ride I listen to loud music and sing along.

When we arrive 3 hours later in the evening my dad and I get out of the car and he helps me put the boxes in front of the door. When we are done he gives me a hug. "I'm going to miss you Maddie". "I'm going to miss you too, bye dad" "bye". He gets into the car and waves goodbye. I open the door with the key dad gave me in the car and start lifting the boxes inside, I had to walk twice because there where too many to carry at once. I open a door and see that there is an extra bedroom so start putting my boxes there and unpack when I suddenly hear the front door open and footsteps coming towards my bedroom door "Hi I followed the trail of boxes and, I'm sorry but who are you?" I look up and see a guy standing at the door my uncle quietly walks up behind him "Wow Wilson, what a nice way to greet my niece and our new roommate". the guy apparently named Wilson jumps at my uncles voice and they walk into my room. Wilson walks towards me and sticks out his hand "Hi I'm James Wilson, I'm sorry about what I just said I just didn't know you where moving in". I accept his handshake and say "Nice to meet you I'm Maddie House, and no problem I probably would have reacted the same way". I go back to unpacking boxes and start hanging my clothes in the closet, James turns to House with a questioning look "If you had this spare room, then why have I been sleeping on the couch all this time?" "Because Wilson, it's way easier to prank and annoy you when you are in the middle of the living room". My uncle then turns to me "I'm going to order some food I'll call you when it's here". "okay, thanks" he then walks towards the door and jokingly says "Don't thank me, it's illegal to starve someone". and walks away. James is still awkwardly standing by the door "Can I maybe help you unpack or something?" "Yeah sure, thanks". He grabs a box that has 3 of my football trophies and all my books in it and walks towards some empty shelves on the right side of the door. "So you're good at football?" "Was, I won those when I was around 14 but I quit when I went to college". "Cool, sucks that you had to quit though. So what did you study?" "I just got my medical degree a few weeks ago, what about you?" He lightly chuckles and says "Well I'm 35 so I've had my medical degree for a while now". My uncle is standing at the door and says "Wilson, James. Boy wonder oncologist". James kind of jumps at the sudden sound of my uncles voice "Damnit House, how do you even walk that quiet with your cane?" "I honestly have no idea. Dinner is here by the way". the three of us walk to the kitchen and grab a plate with some take-out on it and something to drink. We all sit down on the couch, my uncle on the left, me in the middle and James on the right.
After dinner we watch some tv and I suddenly feel a weight on my right shoulder, I slightly move and look to my right to see that James has fallen asleep on my shoulder. I look to my left and my uncle gives me a weird look "I'll let it slide this time because we worked really long and he gets up insane early. But if you want to, you can just push him off". "no it's okay, I'm going to bed in a few minutes anyway". My uncle gets up and we say goodnight to each other while he walks to his bedroom. I slowly get up and lay James' head down on a pillow. I grab the blanket that's on the chair by the left side of the couch and put it on him. I want to walk away when he suddenly grabs my hand and softly says "Thanks Maddie, goodnight". "Goodnight James". I walk to my room, put on my pyjama's and go to bed. Hopefully I will be able to sleep well since tomorrow is my first day at work and I'm pretty excited.