Chapter 13: The Will To Live

((Author's Note: Hey everyone! I'm sorry again for the delay. Finishing up A Place To Escape has been extremely difficult because it's honestly my baby and super hard to let it go while also working hard to make it perfect.
I wasn't going to post this chapter until chapter 14 was closer to being done. And I would say I have maybe half of 14 done but I simply can't wait anymore.
Maybe hearing your thoughts on 13 will be the push I need. My brain has kinda been telling me there isn't anyone else who cares about the ending of this fic lol
Anyhow, I want to apologize in advance for this chapter and once again remind everyone that THERE WILL BE A HAPPY ENDING!
Also chapters 6-12 have been re-uploaded because they've been re-worked, re-edited, re- written. Everything is more or less the same. Chapters 1-12 are just better now.
Might also benefit from reading about more happier times between Kylo and Evangeline after this chapter.
Please don't hate me for this chapter. Buttt if it makes you cry you must tell me.
LOVE YOU ALL!))

A Place To Escape: Chapter 13 (The Will To Live)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Kylo's life force fades, she feels it.

It brings pain—unbearably sharp and twisting in her chest.

She falls to her knees and her Paradise Girls reach for her. Their mouths move, asking her what's wrong, but Evangeline hears nothing.

There is no song, no melody, no rhythm, no sound.

Without him, there is only silence–a silence that stretches out endlessly before her.

He is gone. Dead.

Processing the word worsens the anguish.

Her head tilts back as she howls. The sound is broken and mournful while tears roll down her face.

The pain is too great for her body to handle.

Her bones seem to shatter and turn to dust under her skin.

No longer able to hold herself up, she sinks down to the floor.

Daliah and Faye run off for help, presumably to find the knights.

They leave Elsie, Catana, Devika, and Tegan to try and pull Evangeline from the floor, but her body sags.

Thick tears pour from her eyes as her frame convulses.

Evangeline feels paralyzed as a single word tramples its way through her.

Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead.

She screams until her throat turns raw and the world around her falls away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Evangeline awakens to the sound of a voice that softly calls her name. She feels a hand in hers. It gently squeezes, coaxing her back to reality.

Her eyes flutter open to find Elsie's concerned face staring back at her. Evangeline opens her mouth to speak but coughs from the irritation of her throat.

It takes her a moment, but finally, she asks, "Sweetling, what's happened?"

Elsie speaks tentatively, as if afraid the words would break Evangeline all over again, "You were screaming in pain, Mistress. You fell to the floor and passed out. Daddy Vicrul had to carry you up here."

The words cause her memory to flood back to her.

Tears reform in her eyes and start to fall once more.

Elsie shushes her, attempting to soothe her while begging Evangeline to not cry.

But it's too late. She already remembers.