Chapter Sixteen

*Bucky POV*

He was startled awake by the sudden change in presence. Angel's soft feathers had hardened into metal, actually, her entire body was metal. Why was she in defensive mode? Looking down at her face, Bucky noticed that her entire body was tensed up, her eyes screwed shut like a little kid trying to hide from the nightmares.

The thought dawned on him just then. She was having flashbacks. He knew what that was like but also that waking her wasn't a good idea either. She wasn't harming herself or anyone else so it was best just to let her ride it out as much as it pained him to see her like that. Abruptly, she sat up, so tense that her metal feathers stood straight. She was gasping in breaths like her life depended on it, her entire body shaking. "Angel, deep breaths, okay? Nice and slow."

She turned to look at him but her eyes were glassy like she wasn't really seeing him, her pupils dilated. She was still having flashbacks. "Angel, it's Bucky, we're in our room at the Avenger's compound, you're safe, Hydra's gone." He could see that his words were heard but they weren't having the effect that they should. "It's not your fault, it never was, you're safe, we're safe." It was difficult to know if his words were registering in her mind but he had to believe that they were helping.

Eventually it looked like she was actually looking at him, "Bucky?"

"I'm here, Angel." He didn't push her for details, didn't ask any questions, all he could do was be there for her, so that's exactly what he did. With her permission, he folded his arms around her in a gentle embrace, she relaxed back into her natural form, curling into his side. "It's alright, I'm here." He soothed.

She shook in his arms, breathing unsteadily, burying her face in his chest like she was seeking protection. All he could do was hold her closer and whisper assurances in her ear. She fell asleep like that after she had calmed down but Bucky couldn't. He fought sleep, knowing that he needed it but also knowing that Angel needed him more. Each time she would shudder or twitch, he would stroke her back or wings until she settled. And that was how he spent the rest of that night, watching over his Angel and taking care of her as she had done for him.

She woke hours later with a cute little yawn and looked up at him, concerned, "did you sleep at all?" He shook his head. "You shouldn't have done that."

"You needed me." He responded simply. She lowered her eyes and looked away from his face, he gently guided her gaze back to his with his metal finger, "don't do that, love, you have every right to feel the way you do." He pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead.

"I don't really wanna talk about it." Angel admitted.

"You don't have to. But if you ever do, I'm here."

She placed a light kiss on his lips, "of course," she leaned her head back against his shoulder, "this is very comfortable."

"Agreed, we should do this more often."

"Oh definitely," she sighed with pleasure as his metal arm moved up and down her back. He definitely took note of that for a later date if they ever got to that step. Now, if the guys asked, he couldn't for certain say if they were or weren't dating. They liked each other, they spent time together, they kissed, is that considered dating? He didn't know, nor did he particularly care, as long as they kept doing what they were doing.

"The other's will be wondering where we are." Bucky remarked offhandedly, he didn't really want to get up but gave her the option.

She murmured, "let them wonder," and snuggled closer to his side. He could live with that. They spent quite some time just sitting like that, enjoying each other's company in the silence of their room. But eventually, they had to come out of their little bubble. Angel's stomach growled and she suggested, "I should get us some breakfast."